Old system versus new.....? Worth the cost....?

Old specs…
Processor i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM 16 GB
Graphics Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
1 TB SSD
Win 10 pro

New specs…
Processor Intel Core i9 10900KF 3.7GHz
RAM 32GB DDR4-3600
Graphics NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X
1TB SSD
Win 10 pro

New system is right at $2500 and about that much headache getting all the custom scripts running for both Rhino and Acad.

How much faster could I expect the new system to be…?

Brian

Hi Brian, I’d say if you do a lot of rendering, in V7, then you might get a useful boost from the RTX; if your memory use is running up against the 16 GB then the 32 should certainly help. But in terms of how fast Rhino gets things done, if that is your question, then I’d say there will not be a huge difference. Display speed should be faster, but not Rhino operations in general.

-Pascal

1 Like

I don’t do any rendering…acad and revit are my biggest slow down areas.

Well, I think I hedged my answer enough not to get into trouble if it does not work out as you hope… :upside_down_face:

-Pascal

Thank You for the answer…The way our office works is I get first option to upgrade my system and then pass my old system down to someone else that doesn’t do cad work. For me it’s more about the time to get everything set back up than the money…If there isn’t going to be a good jump in performance then it’s not worth the downtime.

Brian

I know that many offices don’t always think like this, but investing in “secondary” hardware is much more worth the cost. A very good screen, an ergonomic chair or advanced input devices give you much more than 10 or 20 % more of single-core performance. Even investing in consumer goods like the latest mobile phone can reward the employer with a better performing subservient :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: Not to speak of investing in further education…

I agree…I have always been very picky about my screen and mouse. I’m lucky enough to work for a company that pretty much gives me a blank check when it comes to the drafting dept hardware and software needs. Speaking of which in need to go ahead and purchase our 2nd copy of Rhino I have my other draftsman about trained up to use it in production work now.

Brian

1 Like

Hi Brian,

I noticed your comment about “the time to get everything set back up”. There is a way to back up your existing computer and re-apply the backup to the new computer. Very similar to how you back up an iPhone then restore it to your new phone. I just had this done last month, and the new computer was identical to the old from my perspective. I watched our IT manager do it, and it was all done in Win10, not 3rd party software required. You just need an external drive that you can plug into your USB port and let it run after you go home.

I can get more details from him if this is something you would like to do.

Dan

Our IT group has tried this in the past but it never quite works as expected. I have some really old Acad VB programs that I can’t live without and they never seem to transfer over correctly. I end up doing some Registry hacks and have to go back through old notes to get everything back up and running. I really should just have all of them re-written but that within itself will also be a pain and not cheap.

Brian