Offset surface

I have made a mold to make a vacuformed thermoplastic clamshell box liner. The mold is a closed polysurface. The surface I pulled off of the mold does not have any naked edges except around the outside. But when I do an offsetsrf of .75mm in the -Z direction I get naked edges on the fillets at each end. Is there a way to get this surface without manually rebuilding each naked edge?

I do not need to have a closed polysurface to make the mold, but to learn what I need to do in case the next time I do need that part to be a closed polysurface.slide holder clam box mold 001.3dm (9.4 MB)
Thank you
Kevin

Hi Kevin - the problem, I would say, is in the .027 filets along the bottom of the ribs:

Those are consumed in the offset and the ends are messy.

-Pascal

Can anything be done other than remake mold with larger fillets?

I’d say the easiest would probably be to fix it surgically… it’s going to be a bit of a pain - hold on a bit, I’ll see if I can give you better advice…
OK - some are easy: ExtractSrf, delete and replace with a Sweep1 - I’ll make some pictures, hold on.

ExtractSrf & delete these:

Looks like that will work on all of them.

Replace with Sweep1:

-Pascal

1 Like

Pascal, Thank you for the solution. one question, how do you know how many control points to rebuild it with? I tried 3 through 8 and only the 5 seemed to consistently work. Thanks again
Kevin

Hi Kevin - it looked about right and I tried it and Join worked… as sophisticated as that…

-Pascal