Objects showing through each other in shaded view

I’m having issues with objects being visible through each other when they’re touching in shaded view. Is there any settings that fixes this?

In the example below the thick black lines are the curves of different extrusion objects below.

snip

Hello - you can try setting the testZBiasFactor smaller and see how that works.

-Pascal

It’s at 1, I tried setting it to 0.00001 and the lines are sadly still visible.

can you not shut off curves in the display tab?

Yeah… my guess is the scene is quite large, correct?

-Pascal

Turning of curves doesn’t change anything, since it’s the edges of the object below that is showing through.

It’s a 4 x 7 x 6 meter building I’m working on. I also have a scan of the entire area on a different layer that’s not visible, which is around 200 x 200 meters. So quite big.

I tried copying just the building to a new rhino file and the issue persists. Same if I try with just a couple small components.

When I zoom aaaaall the way in, it’s fine. How far I have to zoom depends on the thickness of the object. If it’s 1 mm thick, I have to go really close (less than a meter) for nothing to show through, if it’s 12 mm I can be a 5-6 meters away.

Hei Aksel -

Yes, at this point, there’s not much you can do to make those disappear completely.
If this is something that you need to make final drawings, you will have to look into using Make2D.

That said, we have a few ZBias issues open in our bug tracker and I’ve added your report to one that is visible to the public - RH-56674.
Mvh,
-wim

I’m having the exact same issue. Drawing a small woodshed, no landscape just the shed. For me this happens in all visual styles.

Hello - Please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here. Also, if you can post a file that shows the problem, that would be helpful.

-Pascal

Rhino 6 SR34 2021-2-3 (Rhino 6, 6.34.21034.07001, Git hash:master @ 2fec8130f097ca52a8bc9f334c3ed4a5921c5e30)
License type: Educational, build 2021-02-03
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Thestripper ()

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: Burt

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 1-22-2021 (M-D-Y).
> External USB display device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
Primary OpenGL: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2: NVIDIA Corporation. OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 461.40
> No graphics device is being used for OpenGL

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-8-2015
Driver Version: 9.18.13.5012
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Orca3D V2\Orca3D.rhp “Orca3D” 2.0.18.0
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Something is amiss here - can you bypass the USB ports and plug the monitor into the video card directly and have it work better?

-Pascal

Yeah, not sure what happened to my post either. But yes, my monitor is plugged into my graphics card.

Hello - I would do a clean reinstall of the latest drivers from the nVidia website.

This just does not seem 100% good to me.

-Pascal

Yeah that sounds very strange. The driver is, not the latest perhaps but I updated it in january 2021…Driver

Did a clean install of the latest Driver and now Rhino detects it. The display error of objects shining through still remains however.

Rhino 6 SR34 2021-2-3 (Rhino 6, 6.34.21034.07001, Git hash:master @ 2fec8130f097ca52a8bc9f334c3ed4a5921c5e30)
License type: Educational, build 2021-02-03
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Thestripper ()

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: Burt

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 4-23-2021 (M-D-Y).
> External USB display device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2: NVIDIA Corporation. OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 466.27
> No graphics device is being used for OpenGL

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-8-2015
Driver Version: 9.18.13.5012
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Orca3D V2\Orca3D.rhp “Orca3D” 2.0.18.0
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Something is still funky - the two driver dates… Let’s try one more thing - or two:

1. can you send a screen shot that shows the problem, I wan to be sure I know what we are looking for.

2. Disable Orca in Options > Plug-ins page and then close and reopen Rhino - any different? I do not expect so but it is worth a try as plug-ins can do some unexpected things.

-Pascal

Yep, you are right, there is something funky with that…

I’ve disabled Orca, restarted Rhino and did some “ViewCaptureToFile” with different visual styles. If I zoom in closer the lines starts to disappear more and more. The black sheet on the roof is 4 mm thick and is hovering 1 mm above the green battens. Moving the black sheet up 10 mm will make the lines disappear some but zooming out and they become visible again. Raytraced doesn’t seem to render them visible though.

I might be in for the dreaded clean sweep and reinstall OS and drivers from scratch. The most dreadful is that it might not solve anything.

Roof.3dm (1.6 MB)

Yeah, I see the same thing exactly with your file - don’t jump through any more hoops for this this is just the limitations, I think, of how wires and shaded surfaces interact with the camera - the ‘depth resolution’ gets relatively more coarse with greater depth in the camera. testZBianFactor shoud help in many cases but in this example, I cannot make it better than the defaults, so far.

-Pascal

You see the exact same thing with my file when you open it on your machine you mean? That is interesting. So if you build a similar drawing from scratch do you get the same visual anomaly?

I haven’t tried but maybe starting with a “large object” drawing will make a difference. Sounds a bit far fetched, but there might be something with the accuracy and and visual tolerance rendition… I’m thinking this since zooming in makes the objects (green battens) behind the roof fade away some. Setting a lower value than 1 on “TestZBiasFactor” doesn’t change anything, not even when going down to 0.0000001. When I set it to a higher value, like 15, I see that the problem gets more severe.

Hei Johan -
Thanks for your file - I’ve added that to the open item RH-61601.
Takker,
-wim