Objects in file disappear while rotating view

I am working on a rather large file that started as a import of a Sketch-up based massing model. It is an area of Downtown Saint Paul, Minnesota. Initially the file was sluggish to non-responsive due the massive number of polygons it held, however, after extensive merge face commands, the base imported geometry begin to becomes noticeable quicker when rotating the view or navigating the model. Recently, something odd happened, the perspective viewport stopped displaying the entire model geometry at all. If i put the view into parallel it worked fine, and top, bottom, right and left all remained unaffected. I was able to get the geometry to reappear finally put now while i am rotating the view it suddenly disappears and will re-appear at random. I am new to this forum and a relatively new Rhino user so any help in this would be greatly appreciated. I am using a Mac beta version of Rhino 5 with today’s update installed currently, however this issue first occurred while running the file on my desk top PC at work which is running Rhino 5 with a grasshopper plug-in installed but not in use in this specific file. I have attached a screen shot of the described problem.

Below is a copy of my settings info for your reference.

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 Wenatchee 2014-08-27 (523)
OS X version: Version 10.9.4 (Build 13E28)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro8,3
Processor: Intel Core i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Memory: 1024 MB
Screen size: 1920 x 1200
Displays: Color LCD

USB devices
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Kingston: DataTraveler 2.0
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Microsoft: Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v2.0
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.24.35
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: Yes

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 0x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

Thanks,

David Horner

This is expected behavior, When you ask your graphics card to do more than it is capable of, this is one of the mechanisms it has to cope and compromise.

In Windows Rhino so eventually in Mac Rhino, when you can modify the named display modes, there is an option to replace modeled geometry with simple boxes so there is less to visually move. When you stop rotating or panning, the original geometry comes back so they are simplified visual place holders.