Not detecting shift key when selecting

Using Rhino 8 with a lot of objects in a file, there is a very noticeable lag during object selection. This is not great, but I am used to it. What I am not used to, however, is this lag interrupting the detecting of the shift key when adding to a selection. Sometimes, the shift key will not be detected and then everything will be deselected, when the intent was to add to a selection. This seems to be new behavior in Rhino 8. I don’t think I experienced this problem in Rhino 7.

I have created a video demonstrating this behavior, starting from an empty file, so it should be reproducible.

1 Like

Hi Will - please try with the Properties panel closed - is that better, or different?


With properties panel closed I see the same lag and no change to the symptoms. The problem remains.

Hi Will - please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here.


Rhino 8 SR7 2024-4-16 (Rhino 8, 8.7.24107.13001, Git hash:master @ aa01e3b9820d84a48c2a812d24f0cf42379ee3d8)
License type: Commercial, build 2024-04-16
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 11 (10.0.22631 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 63GB)
.NET 7.0.0

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: AMD Radeon™ Graphics (AMD) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 9-28-2022 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU (NVidia) Memory: 16GB, Driver date: 10-4-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 537.58
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10-4-2023
Driver Version:
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 16 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.7.24107.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.7.24107.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 8.7.24107.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.7.24107.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Hi Will - thanks, nothing leaps out at me here - your gpu drivers are maybe a little old, I’d update those from the ATI and NVidia websites to the latest, but I’d be surprised if that turned out to be a full cure.
That said there are a lot of objects in your example… I can see the delay in selection with this scenario, though here Shift seems to work so far.


Hi Pascal,

I just updated the Nvidia driver to the latest (6 days old) and that didn’t change anything. I haven’t immediately found updates for the ATI driver, but I will try that if/when I find it. I have disabled a few plugins to try to decrease Rhino’s loading time and speed things up.

Thanks for attempting to recreate the issue. It is a very specific click pattern that creates it, you have to select something, then hold shift and select the next thing. If you hold shift the entire time Rhino seems to behave normally. The interruption happens when the first selection creates some lag and THEN you press shift to start your next selection.

Try my same quick succession of selecting but select a LOT of objects each time. I think that makes it easier to recreate.

A lot of my work involves files with a lot of objects in them so I run into this issue on a semi regular basis.

Update: This problem continues to occur and frustrates me daily.