New mesher prototype in Rhino WIP

It’s a shame this thread got started just as we all left for the weekend…

You should see how MOI behaves in this example …
Do you think Mesh2 is better than Mesh?
Offset surface incorrect.3dm (1.1 MB)

Can you please post Moi’s mesh? so we can compare. And my mesh2 doesn’t look at all as yours, so maybe you can post a screen shot of your settings. Thanks.

The first image is Mesh2 with quadrangulate checked
The second image is MoI

3 Likes

It’s interesting.
MoI just accepts that lines in each section can stop at a border and not connect to anything beyond the border
Mesh2 on the other hand creates a triangle when a line meets a border by running a line to the closest point in the next section

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I am doing, but some changed settings made in less than a minute gives me

I am sure @Jussi_Aaltonen will give more insight and possibly better settings sometime next week.

2 Likes

This is to do with n-gons I believe. If you have a large quad that gets broken up into a bunch of triangles because some other part of the mesh intersects it, you can pretend that you still have whatever is left of the original quad by n-gonising the triangles.

Thanks for feedback!

1. We should be able to improve quadrangulation and ngonization in Mesh2.
  2. Mesh2 creates some non-manifold edges and degenerate faces on the baluster model. These need to be fixed.

Please send your Moi mesher settings.

I’m not very expert, maybe I say a banality, but MOI’s mesher works better: cleaner and less complex. Mesh2 seems confused and gives results too redundant.

Just wondering, given the way the surfaces must curve, how the coloured polys (and others) can be planar.

Mesh2 is under development.

One clear difference here - the Moi mesh is not watertight. There’s no stitching at all.

OK - I’m going to take that back about the stitching - it is there, but it’s hidden by the nGons. Which are actually just hiding the real mesh from you at the moment. Mesh2 doesn’t have nGons yet - but it will have soon.

This is what the underlying Moi mesh looks like:

2 Likes

This is the corresponding mesh from Mesh2 - using the same settings as Moi.

The obvious error is that somehow there’s an error along the seam of the sphere. But otherwise, it’s actually pretty similar.

1 Like

I understand that Mesh2 is still under development, not yet finished.
I hope that at the end of its development behaves better than MOI, otherwise it would be a failure for Rhino.
Many users have always believed that MOI has one of the best mesher n-gon … I do not know if it’s true …

Yup – it’s actually a silly trick and it doesn’t save a single polygon either – but people just love how clean the MoI output looks in comparison. As soon as one exports to packages which don’t deal with Ngons one gets back the triangulated version.

Both MoI and Mesh 2 still create nasty wheel spoke triangles at all non planar singularities, this is something one could pretty easily avoid (I’ll write more on that later).

At any rate such meshes are only useful for display / rendering without displacement.
They are unsuitable for rendertime-deformation.

1 Like

Yup - we understand the “look” part. And ngons will be in Mesh2 soon.

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

Holger you have been repeating this non-sense for years. Just because you don’t find it useful doesn’t mean is not extremely useful for many of us.

We mesh in MOI mostly because of this feature, and we don’t give a dam about how ‘it looks’ or that it’s’ a trick’. We use it because if we are going to further detail in SubDs a model started in a Rhino (or Nurbs model imported into Rhino), having an Ngon to select, collapse, split, delete, assign a material, it’s a lot faster to keep modeling and detailing that having a bunch of triangles in your way.

This is what’s confuses your reasoning. Some of use ONLY export these meshes to programs that DO support Ngons, and these are ‘work-in-progress meshes’ that we will clean up, details, cut, or edit in any other way so we finish them up before making them ready to go to any other packages.

In summary:

Meshing with Ngons-support is an extremely useful feature for people that use meshing to take a nurbs model to further detail or iterate in a subD package, and plans to manually resolve the Ngons.

3 Likes