NamedViews sorting in Rhino 7 needed

Anything changed with how the NamedViews panel sorts the views?
Here is how it does now:

• in V6 and before the “z” views would end up at the end of the list… minor thing but with the limited ability to influence this list (no way to sort, reorder or organize in folders), dealing with a lot of views per file we rely on the prefix system and this messes things up a bit…

thanks,

–jarek

1 Like

After looking more into this I see now that WIP does not auto-sort the NamedViews alphabetically anymore, all just gets added to the end of the list and then we can drag to reorder. The above screenshot is from V6 file, order of views is reversed. Sure, can drag all one by one to revert, but would be nice to have an option to sort alphabetically, maybe by clicking on the NamedViews top of the list?

thanks,

–jarek

1 Like

Hi Jarek -

That would be nice, yes. I put it on the list as RH-60323.
-wim

3 Likes

More than nice IMHO. Any list that has the potential of more than half a dozen items should automatically have the alphabetical sort feature AND the option of manual re-arranging with the arrangement retained. If an alphabetical re-sort is attempted on a manually rearranged list an “are you sure” popup should appear.

Isn’t this behavior included in a master list object that a developer can use for any list he/she wants to include in a feature under development? Or is everyone allowed to reinvent the wheel?

2 Likes

Hi,

Any chance this sorting regression for NamedViews can be fixed in a SR? In our workflow we deal with dozens, sometimes 100s of NamedViews per file, so without subfolders smart naming that relies on it being alphabetical was always critical. Trying to switch to Rhino 7 with this ability lost is a major PITA , especially when importing views from other files and then its completely not practical to sort them by hand. Please have it fixed, not as a new nice feature but as a regression. @lars?
If it could happen just by clicking the top of the column it would be great; a checkbox to always auto-sort would be a nice bonus, just like all previous Rhino versions did.

many thanks

–jarek

1 Like

Hi Jarek -

The issue has been recategorized as “Regression” by Dale F.

For my own sanity more than anything else, I guess, I can’t seem to find that checkbox for NamedView in Rhino 6 and Rhino 5. What am I overlooking?
-wim

Hi Wim,

Thanks for the update. Hope it’s not hard to implement the sorting to the new UI.

As for the checkbox, it was not in the previous versions, I was referring to the auto-sorting behavior that Rhino 6 and earlier had for NamedViews. Since Rhino 7 allows for custom ordering I thought an option to always auto-sort could be added… So you are not missing anything, maybe my wording was not precise enough.
So by clicking the Named Views text they could get sorted alphabetically, and maybe a way to always have it (as it used to be) could look like this in V7:
(adding it to the checkboxes list at the bottom of NamedViews panel is also an option but it is already a long and impractical UI getting a lot of screen space of that window).

thanks,

–jarek