Naked edges!

I am very new to rhino and have almost finished a build, although I still have some naked edges. I am sure its probably an easy fix but I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Any help would really be appreciated! thanks!
Courtneylotus 2.zip (1.3 MB)

First of all, you can spend 12 times less time and effort on this model:

(Just be precise on dividing.)

Hi Onetech! Thank you- I did array a bunch of objects, but too early I realized, I could have completed one section and then arrayed the whole thing- that is what I will do next time! Any idea of the naked edge problem? I realized that initially I had uploaded the wrong lotus model- did you look at the lotus or lotus 2? Thanks!

Hi,

You can use ShowEdges with the naked edge option to see the gaps in your current geometry after joining and although it’s possible to fix the model to be closed it’s easier to make it in another way.

This is how I would go about it…
lotus_bjames.3dm (1.5 MB)

Untrim the fillet surface on both sides:

Trim the fillet sufrace, and internal surface against each other:

From the Top view trim the fillet surface at the corner:

Join it all together, mirror on X, and do a polar array.

You had an internal surface that wouldn’t let you join.To trim surfaces against each other you have to select all leaf surfaces, and the internal surface.

Thanks Onetech and Brian J! I will try remaking it and using your suggestions.
Courtney

1 Like

I remade my object, but am unable to fillet the edges. I was able to make a boolean union, but I undid that in order to do the filleting. Any advice?lotus 3.zip (1.7 MB)

Hi Courney- if I understand what you want to make here, I think I’d approach this a little differently still - you can make the pattern in 2d, as curves, and extrude the whole lot at once. But, be careful about leaving ‘zero thickness’ areas - you need to decide what you want to happen in areas like this:

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
I see what you are saying and I have thought about that but I am not sure I know how to fix it- any suggestions? Thanks!
Courtney

Hi Courtney - here is how I’d do this - do all the cleaning up at the curves stage, then extrude - see the attached file. I filleted the curves to give the final result some thickness in all areas (‘Clean pattern’ step). I also modified the little perimeter circle at the edge of the pattern to have one slightly larger circle so as not to have two tangent circles with zero thickness between them when arrayed.

Also, depending on how you want the fillets on the solid, it might pay to do more of this on the input curves.

lotus 3_PG.3dm (818.2 KB)

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
Thanks so much for your help!
It looks very much neater now- I am still hoping to have fillets on the curves but I think it might be too complex for that~ thanks again!
Courtney