Naked edge problem in Rhino

i made a rectangle, than patch it by patch command…now i checked naked edges, i have 4 naked edges…how to remove or fix these naked edges??? I am attaching my photo here of geometry

Naked edges are simply edges that have not been joined to anything else… Nakedness is nothing to be ashamed of in Rhino. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

hey…thanks helvetosaur…but i made hull shape and i have lot of naked edges…so i want fix them…but i dont understand what its use…why i shld fix them???(some people said to me to check naked edges)…can you elaborate more about naked edges

Hello - if surfaces are meant to be joined (Join command) then the edges must be within the file tolerance - in the file you posted elsewhere, the edges are not nearly close enough to join- one pair I checked at random had a deviation of more than 4 units. It’s probably worth learning a bit more about how Rhino works -

https://www.rhino3d.com/tutorials

-Pascal

1 Like

thankyou for the answer…so thats why i have so many naked edges??..right?

Any surface that has edges that are not joined to another surface (or itself in the case of closed surfaces) will show those edges as naked, yes.

-Pascal

1 Like

aahhh…now i understood…so much of thanks…thankyou))

BTW, @tumulpurwar - instead of using Patch to make a surface from a closed planar curve like a rectangle, use PlanarSrf to make a simpler surface.

-Pascal

1 Like

You should avoid Patch command at all costs.

2 Likes

This is a peculiar bit of advice… as with any tool, it’s more helpful to understand where the command is useful.

-Pascal

As a naval architect to, (I assume) another naval architect. I will never suggest using Patch.

Update:

I’ve been using Rhino since Rhino3, and everytime over the years when I used Patch for ships and boats it failed me. It is simply the wrong choice. User is better off with NetworkOfCurves, Loft, or pretty much any other command for generating surfaces than Patch.

I use Patch frequently for generating hull surfaces from data such as scans or offsets. However I don’t just select the input data and take whatever Patch produces. Instead I create a start surface with the desired structure which matches a set of boundary curves. Then I used the “Select starting surface” option and “Preserve edges” option, and have Patch deform the start surface so that it matches or is close to matching the input data. Frequently several iterations of adjusting the structure of the start surface are needed.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t you better use Surface from NetworkOfCurves? When I was working with ShipConstructor2005 that was the fastest way to get good quality surfaces that aren’t too heavy on number of control points. (back then if your surface hits a number of about 200-300 control points in a single curve SC2005/Autocad crashes)

NetworkSrf works well if the input data is arranged as required by the command but it does not provide direct control over the number of control points or knot spacing, and always produces degree 3 surfaces. if the NetworkSrf result is satisfactory I’ll use it. If I need more control over the surface then I’ll use Patch with a start surface.

With a start surface and Patch I can use a start surface of any desired degree, with any desired number of control points, and any knot spacing. To create the start surface I may begin with a surface from EdgeSrf, Sweep2 or NetworkSrf using a subset of the input data. Frequently I’ll rebuild that surface with a different number of control points and add or remove knots. Occasionally I’ll change the surface degrees. Then I’ll use Patch to fit the start surface to all of the input data.

Depending on the hull shape I’ll use between 4 and 20 control points in each direction, and work to minimize the number of control points. I insert and remove knots so that control points are spaced as needed