Mesh to nurbs help

I want to work back and forth with mesh and surfaces to edit existing files. I am just looking for a good method. The files are printed in ceramic in spiralize mode.

Is it possible to develop a surface on the mesh to reconstruct a shape like a topology in Blender?

Mesh2Surface plugin is the best way to achieve this.

Thank you, it’s an interesting tool but it’s out of my budget. Is it possible to perform a topology with Rhino’s tools ?

…you could do a lot under the trial period…

It’s exclusively for windows, excluded for my Mac :frowning:

1 Like

:joy: Seriously it is not playable with rhino tools ?

It’s just not what Rhino is made for, some sort of mesh sculpting tool would probably be best for modifying this. I’ve done reverse engineering of stuff much like that, both manually and with plugins/other software, it’s not a trivial task any way you slice it.

In this case I would first untriangulate the mesh before use mesh2nurbs. MergeAllFaces generates connected plane surfaces. Then you have to look. What do you have. What do you need.

Hey, so this is now possible. Give your scans a try through this process: Quademesh > SubD > NURBS.

hey Scott…

I believe Frederic will need to wait a few more weeks(?) to give that a shot… (Mac sub-forum)

:wink:

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m facing a similar problem. I’m creating a TERRAIN and I got a mesh from points. When I try to convert the mesh into a Nurb to extract the contours it goes frozen. I upgraded my graphic card and so on, but so far I cannot do it.

Thank you in advance.
Silvia

Silvia, the command Contour should work directly on the mesh. No need to convert it to NURBS.

1 Like

It won’t work on each case but you could first ReduceMesh the existing mesh a bit. Then MeshtoNurb it. It would give you less surfaces to deal with.

1 Like

For some reason it makes the contours not like topo line… do you know why ?

Contouring a mesh results in polylines. Contouring a NURBS surface results in (smooth) NURBS curves.

https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/meshtonurb

As per the above article, MeshToNurb is absolutely not recommended for meshes with many polygons. In any case, contouring that will give you the same result as contouring a MeshToNurb produced polysurface, so doing that is useless.

If you want smooth topo curves either you need to smooth them via something like FitCrv or you can for example drape a surface over the mesh and then Contour that.

1 Like

Here it’s the next challenge. I have a lot of contour lines that are open. To close them requires a lot of manual work, drawing the missing part of the poly line. Any advice ?
My first idea was to convert MeshToNURB and extract the borders of the nurb. Not sure about the good solution.
Thank you and Happy new year!
sv

MeshToNURB replaces each mesh face with a separate NURBS surface with exactly the same shape as the mesh face. I do not understand how it will help solve your problems.

If the problem is gaps between polycurves then the Connect command may help. Rhinoceros Help?

If the problem is a single gap in a polycurve which should be closed then the CloseCrv command may help. Rhinoceros Help

1 Like

You can maybe create the missing parts (I suppose you basically want to close the edges) using the _contour command and than join the lines with the already existing ones.