Mesh intersection failed! after weaverbirds Catmull-Clark Subdivision--Is it a BUG?

As you can see in the picture, Mesh intersection between a box mesh and a voronio mesh failed after weaverbirds Catmull-Clark Subdivision
Is it a BUG of weaverbird? How can I solve it?
To open the attachment , you need two Plug-In: Dendro and Weaverbird. I used Rhino 6.

mesh intersection failed.gh (24.6 KB)

If you want to use Mesh Boolean I suggest to use other program than Rhino. It never worked well.
Brep booleans are slow but reliable but not meshes.

Petras,
thanks a lot. Sometimes it works well, but rarely.
Is there another Pulg-In works well for mesh boolean? I WANT TO USE RHINO TO SOLVE IT.

Nope

Hi -

I would at least try it in Rhino 7 as a lot of work has been done to make the mesh tool better.
-wim

Well, Dendro has a component for volume interesections. The resulting mesh isn’t a nice mesh but the intersection works and I think it’s a matter of finding the right settings.

mesh intersection failed.gh (33.2 KB)

Hi ,Martin,thank you. Actually it needs to be smoothed before make the boolean operation to keep the the edge of the cube sharp.Maybe i juest can’t do this in Rhino 6.

Here’s a process that worked for me.

Instead of using a box for one boolean operation, I created 6 mesh planes with their normals towards the center of your thickened skeleton. Three MeshBooleanDifference operations after another with opposing mesh planes. It didn’t work when I tried all 6 at the same time.

The lines for the thickened skeleton have been cleaned with Daniel Pikers Topologizer and fattened with the mesh fattener. It’s a slightly different approach.

20_11_02_voronoi_skeleton.gh (17.1 KB)

2 Likes

Hi, martin. I can’t open your file, And I can’t find the two plugins Daniel Pikers Topologizer and fatten in FOOD4RHINO.Would you please share these two plugins?

I can’t find the two plugins Daniel Pikers Topologizer and fatten in FOOD4RHINO.Would you please share these two plugins?

You will have to download from these two links or elsewhere in this forum. I found them with the search function.

We originally made Dendro to do bulletproof boolean operations for automated batch processing of 3D scan mesh data so it should be the right tool for the job.

Trade off with Dendro is that you loose control of mesh topology and have to do additional work to preserve feature details such as sharp edges. Hope this helps.

mesh intersection solved.gh (25.7 KB)

1 Like

Hi, Charlie. Thanks a lot. I am very glad to receive your reply, which is very helpful to me !

I’ve added RH-61643 to keep track of this.