Mesh Boolean Issue

Hello,

I am using VBScript and Rhino 4.0 to run various boolean operations between a growth plate mesh and a drill mesh. I am getting frustrated as some some of the bigger drills will not perform a boolean intersection even though the meshes are clearly intersecting. I am guessing this is a problem with Rhino as a drill with a diameter of 2 cm and 3 cm will work, but one with 2.5 cm will not, which makes no sense.

Has anyone had this problem or have a suggestion for a solution? I am in desperate need of help.

Thank you,
Noah

MeshBooleans - or any other operation that involves calculating mesh intersections - are just not reliable in Rhino - especially in Rhino 4. There appears to be some hope for an improved mesh intersector for V7.

For now, I can only suggest modeling your parts in NURBS, not meshes.

Do you believe it could possibly help if I upgraded to Rhino 6.0? I have spent months developing script for this project which is dependent on intersections and it would be impossible for me to try and switch programs at this point. When will Rhino 7 roll out?

Thanks,
Noah

Hi Noah - can you send us a couple of the meshes that don’t work? My guess is there would be little to gain in V6 but I’ll be happy to test. (www.rhino3d.com/upload, to my attention)

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

I uploaded the file as ‘meshboolean’ and entered your name but could not find your email address. In Rhino 4, some of the models don’t work as meshes with mesh boolean intersection and other models don’t work as surfaces with surface boolean intersection.

-Noah

@nqr5090 - Hi Noah - I got the file - Mesh Booleans to work in this example in V6…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

That is good news, thank you. Do you know if I will be able to successfully use VBscript from Rhino 4.0 in Rhino 6.0?

Thanks,
Noah

Hi Noah - yes, but most likely not ‘straight across’ - there may well be functions you’re using that have changed since V4.

-Pascal

Okay, that is expected - as long as I can use the general code with some adjustments. Thank you!

-Noah