Maverick Render Lens Effects

I’ve been playing with the recent release of the newest Maverick and enjoying the sparkle the lens effects can provide. I’m amazed at how quickly new and useful features are coming out with Maverick.

7 Likes

Agreed, they are working hard. The last release was great. They even put a couple of fixes in there for me which was superb.

Nice image by the way =)

1 Like

You can feel they are very hungry and working hard to please their user-base. They are turning out fixes and enhancements faster than I can ever try them out! :slight_smile:

Yes, I’ve been wanting to test out the substance material import, but just haven’t had the chance yet.

I think they also said they’ve tweaked the iges import. So, another thing to check out at some point.

@PaulS I wonder how the workflow is, I see on their website you need to export your model to studio. Is it easy to update the model that is ported to studio once you make changes? Can Maverick handle interiors as well?

Yes, you have to export to Studio, best done as an obj.

When you get changes from your client, just re-export, choose to merge into the current scene and as long as you’ve kept all the layer names the same it’ll just update the geometry.

Don’t know about interiors as yet. My guess you’ll need a good graphics card to make it work well. I’m doing an interior at the mo (with vray) so if I get the time I’ll try porting it to Maverick and will let you know.

There is a new Rhino exporter which is in beta …it does a good job of doing an auto (ish) update with the click of a button. I have no problem updating or changing objects in Studio.

I don’t do architectural work so don’t know about interiors. Looks like Rob is going to give it a try…I’m curious too.

I could easily be fooled it’s a photo. Absolutely love it.

1 Like

@Gijs

Had a quick go at doing an interior (no materials or maps, just a plain off-white colour) with Maverick but stumbled on the following points -

1. Setting up multiple spot lights was very painfully slow, not sure why. So much so that I only managed to copy a light 5 times before I ran out of patience…
  2. You only get two choices of viewport style 1) Fully rendered 2) Shaded. This makes it tricky to set up lights where you want them because of all the geometry in the way. Basically got to switch off all the other layers and just leave the light geometry showing.
  3. Rendering with just spot lights was a disaster - I could only get a few speckles showing up in the view port. If I deleted all the spot lights and rendered with just the sky/sun then it was a different story, much more promising but still fairly slow and grainy after a fair while (I’ve only got an nvidia P5000 graphics card which probably doesn’t help).

So really I think it’s more of an exterior/product renderer at the moment. For that it’s great, no complaints.

@mcvltd thanks for trying this out. On their website I didn’t see any interiors either.
If it’s painfully slow on P5000 then It will also stay slow on other cards I guess.

Thanks for giving an interior a try…sorry it didn’t turn out so well.

The lights in Maverick are one of my favorite aspects. When I use lights, I split the main viewport and have one side realistic and the other basic shading. I create a general light in the approximate location, left, right, top, etc. Then in the basic shaded viewport I look through the light as my viewpoint and while it instantly updates in the realistic viewport move where-ever I need to. All of the controls for the light are active and it’s very fast and seamless to set up a good lighting. There is also the ‘Normal’ light control which either creates a fresh light pointing at the spot you have selected in the viewport or re-positions an existing one based on there you point. I hardly use the transform widget for light placement. Once I have all of my light set I use the Lightmixer to quickly adjust the right balance.

Yeah, a completely different workflow is needed for interiors.

Nice tip about the Lightmixer, I always forget about that!