Material textures conflict after opening file

Hi everyone,

I am having a recurring issue with flickering materials in rendered view in Rhino 6. Everything is fine when I save my work and close a file, but when I open this file again, I see flickering material conflicts. Its hard to show the issue with a static image so I’ve linked a video.

Observations and troubleshooting I’ve tried thus far:

• When I click the attached material for editing sometimes if I check or uncheck the color mask box it solves the issue. When it does solve the issue on one object, it rarely works on all objects.
  • This issue occurs whether Vray is my default renderer or not.
  • This issue occurs on when I export to Rhino 5 or open on another PC.
  • I’ve disabled Vray, restarted my computer, and the issue persists.
  • Some material names have been mysteriously replaced with “rdk$0200-0200-2D890EC2_png” If I try to replace the material, the issue persists.
    Any help pointing me in the right direction to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated.
    rhino test.3dm (15.0 MB)

Side question: Why is the texture editing dialog window sometime have all options greyed-out and nothing is editable and sometimes it is editable? is there a way to control this?

Hello - are the materials Rhino materials or from some other renderer?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
I am not using any Vray materials. I should add that this issue frequently effects Picture Frames. My understanding is that when I add an image into Rhino using the Picture command, it will never be a plug-in material.

Hi Ryan - is this in V6? In V6, pictures make a Picture material, but if you bring in V5 files that have Pictures, it will not be - are these Pictures made in V6? The UI would normally look like this:

Can you post an image of what you see when it does not work right?

-Pascal

1 Like

Everything has been modeled in Rhino 6. I’ve only exported to Rhino 5 for troubleshooting. Note that the original PNG file has a name of “_40.png” and this is correct for the material. but the linked image name has mysteriously changed.

Here’s another one: Both Pictures in the same file one is flickering and the other displays correctly.

Hi Ryan - are the original images, the ones that are being substituted, on your local drive?
@andy - What would cause that substitution of an image with ‘rdk etc etc.png’?

-Pascal

1 Like

I work at an office that does use a server. I try to keep everything local, however, sometimes things get messy. Please see this thread I posted in last month: Embedded files folder

I can say that this is defiantly happening with material textures that are saved on my local drive.

UPDATE:

Our IT guy switched out my graphics card from an AMD to an NVIDIA and the issue was immediately resolved. He suspects it has to something to do with OpenCL/OpenGL which is above my technical understanding.

Thanks for your help!