Making COLORS.TXT "read only"

I use a lot of custom colors in my COLORS.TXT file which gets overwritten on each new update of Rhino (frequent updates for which I’m grateful, thank you Devs).

If I make my Colors.Txt file READ-ONLY will it create any known issues for me going forward?

That file gets replaced, not over-written from what I recall. You could write a short little script to replace that file after each update with your archived original.

I was hoping if I made the file Read_Only then it will not get overwritten.

You can always try it. Just make sure you keep a copy somewhere safe. That’s true for all of your customizations. I save all our customizations in a secure location, as well as off-site (in case of fire, theft, etc.).

1 Like

Hello- nope - it (read-only) does not work - here’s what I get after updating:
The read-only is that goofy one. I suppose it might still be helpful in that it would not be deleted and you could rename it back,.

-Pascal

1 Like

This issue is set as an open bug: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-61405

1 Like

Thank you for the smoke test.

Great to see that its not just my issue for a change :slight_smile: Thank you!

Similar to here, I’ve been receiving the “Please Wait… Updating toolbars” … window every time I open an instance of Rhino (7.16.22067.13001, 2022-03-08).

I got it to stop by disabling the Read-only property of colors.txt, thus allowing it be overwritten.
While Read-only was enabled, my custom colors were preserved, unlike here:

I use Rhino from multiple Windows user accounts on my Windows 10 PC, and the latest Rhino may have been installed by another account. This may have contributed to the repeated updating.

I just noticed that the latest SR18 release candidate didn’t replace the colors.txt file. I’m pretty happy about that.

Dan

1 Like

Great to hear Dan, thank you for the heads up.

I think I spoke too soon. The SR18 RC2 replaced the color.txt file again.

Ah ok. I’m sure they will get to it eventually.