Make2d splitting lines

Can you send me that model to investigate? If it’s to big or confidential you can use Rhino - Upload to Support

please reference this thread and drop a note here.

I have just uploaded the file. I have made this model for a university digital modeling class. It’s a recreation, using plans of other architects so I could not upload it publicly as the original plans it’s not my work.

Except for that can you send me one model in which the make 2d works as expected? With rhino 6 or 7, I have neither one. I don’t speak for just a simple cube.
I haven’t uploaded the rhino 5 model since it’s just a save as of the uploaded v7 file.

Also if you take a look at this post I made a long time ago, without a response at the end

there are videos made by me where you can see that I have found why these failures happen.
I think you should take a look at these videos.
They are model-independent.

Is it possible to use rhino 5 with my license? It will save me a lot of time.

I did a couple Make2D without the clipping planes with no major issues. What scale are you printing these out at?

You can request a legacy license here… Rhino - Access Rhino 5 for Windows

what do you mean without major issues? Can you post the result?
With rhino 5 there is no issue at all. All perfect.

It’s the weekend here, I’ll try and post some results in a few hrs.

Not sure if you’re license would fall into the limitations of the Rhino 5 downgrade, try inputting your Rhino 6, not the upgraded 7. If you have any questions please email sales and they can respond on Monday. Thanks

here is the weekend also. :rofl:
Anyway thanks.

@ar00302 I see some issues indeed, but only at certain settings, can you confirm this:
Edit: in V5 the first option is not available

better but still a lot of issues that do not exist in rhino 5.

It’s unbelievable. I have spent hours and hours transferring models made in rhino in AutoCAD or Revit to create 2d linework. And neither of the above was able to create linework from perspective views. Because started using rhino in university two years ago purchasing version 6 I never had a successful make 2d. The instructor, which is really good, never refers to problems using make 2d. I didn’t understand. All with no one exception 3d models I have made for architecture school were not able to produce correct 2d linework in rhino.
And now I discover that rhino 5 make 2d work as perfect as it should.
Guess what version of rhino the instructor used.
I have tried all my models. Still, I can’t find any mistakes.
I was able to retrieve a rhino 5 license using my rhino 6 key. But I cannot add it to the zoo.
How its possible something working so good been problematic for three versions (including 8 wip)?
It is unbelievable. No one used rhino make 2d. I expected everyone to complain about this. It’s sad. How hard is it to fix something when already have a working solution?

1 Like

In Revit you place a view on a Sheet to get 2D linework.

In Autocad you can use the ViewBase command to create 2D linework.

Both of these will have unique workflows that you will need to sort through to get what you need.

Make2D is essentially Project to Plane. The command has to sort through coincident edges and determine what to show. Tolerance/View Angle is going to have a big affect on this process. If an edge is slightly into the floor it may get removed, similar to your example.

There have been improvements to speed and quality of these processes as a whole, and is still progressing in the wip. That said i’m not surprised that a complex model taken in its entirety would be missing some edges.

I guess my question is on expectations of perfection and how you are going to use the results. At a 1/4" (1:50 metric) scale these aren’t significant.

In comparison our Make2D works rather well and is progressing, which can’t be said about the others.

I really don’t understand what are you saying. I said that make 2d works perfectly in rhino 5 and it produce a lot of errors from version 6 and after. When the same model in the same angle with the same tolerances give perfect results in rhino 5 bad results after that it’s obvious that something has brocken. Something used to work and now it does not. In rhino 5 everything works. In rhino 5 everything works. You sound like a politician when you speak about progress and what others do and if these problems are significant. In rhino 5 there are no errors. I have sent you the model I am sure you has a lot of models you can confirm it by yourself. In rhino 5 make 2d works as expected. If the edge is slightly into the floor it draws slightly into the floor with no problems without removing it. When we use cad systems we work in 1:1 scale. I don’t know what other to say. Rhino 5 produce excellent results.

2 Likes

Restore the code from rhino 5 and when you really make an improvement that works then make a new make 2d

Hi @ar00302 did you read my post above? The reason it works in V5 is because it has less options, and the default in V7, which is not available in Rhino 5, has an issue. So there is nothing that needs to be brought from V5, because that part is not broken.

I’ve added RH-72810 Make2d gives wrong results when “from inputlayers” option is used

1 Like

I read your post but as I said I tried again with options similar to rhino 5 and still produces errors. At the same time, rhino 5 is error-free.
So I think something needs to be brought back.

Hi @ar00302 yes, I see now what you mean and the previous conclusion that it had to do with the setting was wrong. I updated the YT, thanks

Thank you.
I almost got crazy because you didn’t understand the problem.
The most important thing is that rhino 5 works perfectly.
There are a lot of suggestions for improving rhino’s drafting capabilities but at least bring back something it used to work like a charm.
The first comment in this sport starts with
“Thank You for looking into it Pascal…I’ll just use R5 for Make2d it works correctly…For me anyway. Once I finish the project I’m working on now I’ll switch over to the WIP. I can’t believe I never caught this before…I have used R6(WIP) since it first came out. Brian”

Its something noticed since rhino 6 WIP.

Today I install the latest rhino 8 WIP.
Many of the lines you refer to as narrow are now correct. Still, there are errors in other parts

i also find it impossible that something that worked does not work as well anymore. i havent used v5 but all i know msle2d has been very unreliable all the time since
v6.

Go to rhino website and from there you can download rhino 5. Even without activate it you can try and see that make 2d works perfectly. You will not be able to save.
I was able to retrieve a rhino 5 key using my rhino 6 key, automatic from rhino website.
So right now I just save as my work as rhino 5 and i made there my 2d line work. Of course that’s not the preferable method. You cannot automate procedures with grasshopper. But at least it works. If the drawing has no errors the make 2d has no errors. I can’t remember neither one models produce correct make 2d from rhino 6 which was the first version i have ever used.
Try rhino 5 and you will be amazed with the results.

@Gijs I am just tested today make 2d in rhino 8, and i am seeing huge improvements. I am not able to determine any error until now in the same model we’ve discussed above, and i don’t even see linework inside sections when i use section planes, which was not supported at all in previous releases. Sections are perfectly clean. You must have changed something drastically to see such a huge improvement.
Very impressed until now.

1 Like