Mac Rhino licensing question

I have posed this question before in someone else’s thread, but I am lifting it out and would like to hear McNeel’s opinion on this. In this link http://www.imagine-computation.com/nachricht/rhino-for-mac.html prices are quoted for the forthcoming release of Rhino for Mac. I have found and read the end user license agreement, however I am not sure how it translates to my case. I often work on a freelance basis for a small company (1 man). The owner has a Windows Rhino license. Can he buy an extra Mac Rhino license for the quoted price in the above link and let me use it?

Max.

As far as I know, McNeel will be setting the price for Rhino Mac, not some industry pundit. I haven’t heard anything from McNeel yet. Did I miss an announcement?

The industry pundit in question is actually someone who posted info from the Rhino reseller meeting in October of last year, where planned prices were released to the resellers. (there were also a number of non-resellers present). As a reseller, I assumed at the time (and still do) that the prices were not to be made public until the release was officially announced. However, apparently the blog posting was OK’d by McNeel.

So no, you haven’t missed an official announcement - there hasn’t been any.

–Mitch

Aha! Thanks, Mitch.

Hi Max,

Our license agreement allows you to install Rhino on all the computers within the licensee’s control, so long as each license is in use on one computer at a time.

If you are an independent contractor, my guess is that your computer is not under the control of the owner of the small company. In this case, you will need to purchase your own license.

You are reading about a special promotion we plan to offer for Rhino for Windows. Owners of Rhino for Windows licenses will be able to purchase a license of Rhino for Mac at a discount for a very limited time. There will be an introductory price for Rhino for Mac that you will apply to you. It’s not as low as the Rhino for Windows promotion, but it will still be a great deal.

Hey Brian,

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the commercial Mac Rhino license promotional offer for existing Windows Rhino license holders will be an independent license - not dependent on the Windows license for installation and use, except to qualify to buy it in the first place. Do I have that right?

–Mitch

No, that’s not right. Here’s how we plan to make it work:

Everyone can purchase a Rhino for Mac promotional license, if they want to. But during the first 30 days, that license must be validated.

License validation will require:
a) A Rhino 5 for Windows license key to be entered
b) That the Rhino 5 for Windows license has been validated
c) That the Rhino for Mac promo license is validated to the same person as the Rhino 5 for Windows license.

We initially planned placing the burden of proof into the purchase process, but moved it to the validation process to make it easier for all resellers to sell. It is the responsibility of the buyer to make sure they are eligible for the discount.

Yes, that’s what I was trying to say, although not in that much detail. However, what I’m interested in is what happens AFTER the promotional Mac Rhino license has been bought, validated with a Windows V5 license and installed. It sounds like what you’re saying is that in effect these licenses will be special-cased as non-transferable because they will always need the original Windows V5 license and e-mail for validation if installed on a new computer. Is that correct?

I’m being picky on this because this is certainly not the last time this will be asked, and it needs to be crystal clear for everyone.

Thanks, --Mitch

Hi Mitch,

@bobmcneel may have more details here, but…

Rhino for Mac promotional licenses from Windows Rhino 5 (I think we need a shorter acronym) will be tied to the Rhino for Windows license forever. I’m not sure if both the Rhino for Windows and the promo licenses will be transferrable together.

I agree that it would be good to have crystal clarity on this.

Well, perhaps we should just call them MacRhino Crossover licenses…

So, yes, we need clarification for what happens after the crossover license is bought/installed, but also for the near and distant future of that license.

What happens at the next version change/upgrade on the Mac side? The crossover licenses should be upgradable, certainly, but will that make them independent or not?

–Mitch

And also, does the process in a way make the windows version void? Or can both be continued to be upgraded? And as a package deal?

Sorry, I don’t understand the premise of this question. Why would this process make the Windows version void?

I agree it wouldn’t be a good idea but I’m sure someone could come up with a scheme where going in for a crossover license would actually mean crossing over - especially since the two are tied together. At the next crossroads one would only be able to go in one of two directions and not like quarks be at two places at the same time. Never mind :zap: :mute:

But it doesn’t sound like you are going the Maxwell (and probably others) way where you buy a license and download a version for whichever platform you need.

:slight_smile: Love the analogy. Just to be clear: we are talking about them being “tied together” - for lack of a better term - only for the pre-release promotional pricing.

But it doesn’t sound like you are going the Maxwell (and probably others) way where you buy a license and download a version for whichever platform you need.

No, not initially.

Ok, I’m not sure if I get it right, I have a Rhino 5 licence for windows which I have’t used in about two years now, but it’s activated and everything. can I use the same licence on my mac? or I need to purchase another license?

Thank you for the great work BTW… I’ve been using WIP since early 2011 and saw it growing amazingly since then.

@MottaghiS, You’ll learn more about this in the next few weeks.

@brian:

(Mar 16)

We do NOT have a Windows Machine to run the Zoo 6 (latest), and do NOT even want to run a VM on our slow Mac Server.

(Today & future)
What are the requirements to run Rhino Mac on 2 computers NOT at the same time?

@dale is currently working on a Zoo Server for OS X. As far as I know, we do not yet know what the requirements of this server would be…it is too early in development to tell.

Thanks @dan.

“requirements” was meant for using a license on 2 machines (one after another) WITHOUT the Zoo for Mac (before its ready).

You can install the same license on as many computers as you want, as long as you do not use more than one at a time.

–Mitch

1 Like