Looking for TIPS for easy work with layers

Hi, people! I’m looking for some tips - How to make the best of work with layers.
Working on a jewelry project (the second one - I’m a beginner).
And I find myself loosing a lot of time turning off/on layers.
(I avoid to delete some parts which I might use.)
Anyway - there is not a possibility to color the stroke of a layer, nor make folders of layers (like in photoshop), at least I did not find. So I got confused all the time, because I need to read the name of layer and think if that’s the one which I need.
I did colored the layer object color and printing color, which helps a little. Thou it colors objects as well.
I will really love to know how you name your layers or any other tips on proper work on jewelry project.
May be you can attach screenshots…
Thanks a lot in advance!
:smile:

It is possible to make “folders of layers”, that is, to add sub-layers. Right-click on the Layer to show the context menu, and select “Create new sublayer”.

Also, if you click the black square in the layer, it is possible to change the layer color. This colours the objects that are in the layer, for easy reference.

1 Like

edit- posted at the same time as @menno… some of the following repeats what he said…

i’m not quite sure what you mean by ‘color the stoke of a layer’… if you mean change the color of the layer name text then you’re right… it will always be black.

‘folders of layers’ may be possible if i understand correctly… in rhino, you can have sub-layers.
if you click and hold on a layer name, you’ll notice that you can drag the name around in order to change its position in the list… you can also drag it on top of another layer and it will become a sub-layer… similar to how a folder structure works.

likewise, you can right-click on a layer name then choose ‘create new sublayer’ which will make a new empty layer within the main layer.

color coding the layers can be advantageous during drawing… it helps me stay more organized and/or aware of my organization structure… one thing that bothers me with the default settings are that colored layers also color the surface edges and isocurves… i have my preferences set to show all edges as black (and turn off isocurves unless i’m having problems seeing the shape)… you may/may not prefer the single color edges as well…

as far as ‘tips’ go, i don’t really have any since i imagine everybody does things a little differently and there isn’t a ‘best’ way… it’s whatever works best for you… so that’s just a matter of keep drawing and finding out what works best for you.

1 Like

Thanks @menno, thanks @jeff_hammond!
Sublayers - can solve the folder issue.
Re: colors - I do use colors option.

Hi Eva,

I also do not understand completely what you are saying, but do you know that you can give layer a color to help you picking the one you want in the layers-window, but individual objects can have their own color by changing the property “Display Color” to “Custom” After that you can change the object color to be displayed on your screen, and it will no longer be influenced by the layer color.

Max.

1 Like

likewise, you can set the display mode to show objects as a single color instead of the assigned layer color.

i interpret this:
I did colored the layer object color and printing color, which helps a little. Thou it colors objects as well.

…as “i want to change the layer color but not the object display color” …but the later post suggests she’s ok with the object changing color?

but @eva, have any of your questions been answered yet aside from the layers folders? if not, you might have to try asking again / rephrasing the issue.

1 Like

Thanks, @maxz, thanks @jeff_hammond!
This is not a certain question, but more like TIPS post, where everyone is welcome to suggest any tips on workflow using layers.
What I was asking (re: photoshop coloring of layers
I photoshop the colors goes before the name of a layer.
)
So, I just now tried to swap the columns in the layer palette - and it works!

It does the trick, so now I see the color before the name and it’s easier to orient.
@maxz thanks for the “Display Color” - will definitely try it too!