Looking for suggestions for modelling horns?

What would be a good approach to modelling twisted shape like rams horns? Any thoughts?
I’d like to get a somewhat realistic outer shape, only smoother.

The _Pipe command with one radius set to zero should do the trick.

1 Like

ram-horns-1

I’d actually like a closer to reality, with more control over sections.

Are you trying to re-create the texture of ram horns? This really depends on your end-goal.

If you are just doing visualization, a texture map could work well.

If you are 3D printing or preparing for another manufacturing process, you are going to need to add local detail. I would suggest using the new V7 WIP SubD tools. ram horns.3dm (1.6 MB)

Does it have to be Nurbs? or can you do it in SubD in V7?

Side note:

@gustojunk your comment prompted me to run the _ToNurbs command on this horn model to test how well it would pack faces. I’m pleasantly supersized that it returns one single surface. I should have expected this since the topology is consistent all the way through.

3 Likes

here’s one approach to have a more ‘interactive’ workflow between inputs-outputs so you can edit the inputs until your horn looks just how you want it.

rhino file:
historic_horn01_gf_200916.3dm (1.4 MB)

Of course if you can do it in SubD you can get much better control/results.

G

5 Likes

Hi hereiam

I workflow on the horns using a multipipe base.
If you Transform used, express more diverse forms in sub-D.

Sub-D is not a separate tool, but a tool that can be used
harmoniously in Rhino other tools.
-LIKE G-
I think it’s attractive.

I hope this help.

1 Like

Hi Gustavo,
so appreciate the video with the explained process . I’ll give it a try. Thank you so much!

p.s. Can’t open your file in v5. Could you possibly save it for an older version? Thx.

Hi Ryan,

You guessed right, it’s intended for 3d print. I haven’t worked with SubD yet. I’m working with an older version of Rhino5 (…I know), so I can’t open your file. I guess I’ll need to look into upgrade. Thank you so much!

Hi J.P. Bae,

so I don’t really understand the workflow with multipipe base. Could you possibly explain how you got the result? I don’t have SubD, can it be done without it?

V5 here. I’m just not sure if all these commands have history in V5:
historic_horn01_RH05_gf_200917.3dm (1.4 MB)

Thanks a lot. History is lost in v5 of course, but it really helped. It’s fun to play with it, though it will take quite a bit of tweaking to get close to the shape I want.
So I managed to built a loft with history and Flow along Surface. But the surface I built doesn’t work like yours.

I can not figure out exactly how you built the output target surface. I’m sure I’m missing something. Here’s what I’ve done:

1. turned on Record History
  2. chose 2rail sweep tool
  3. selected the curves and voila, surface created.
    Then proceeded with the Flow along Surface…
    …well, the history on my target surface doesn’t work. If I move the original lines, nothing. The surface can only be manipulated directly. What am I missing?

The target surface is not a rail 2, but rather a rail 1. The curve for the longer side of the rectangle is the rail. The 2 straight curves for the short side are the sections. In the 1rail dialogue set rebuild to 50 points. So you end up with a surface that’s 20x50 control points, matching the source flowalong surface. The short 20cp count side is inherentes by the straight sections that have 20 control points. The rebuild along the rail give you the 50 control points.

Does that make sense?

G

Got it. Thx! Slowly embracing this method.