Loading autoCAD 2018 drawings into Rhino8

Unfortunately, despite my young Godson’s help in sending me a few files in autoCAD 2018 format I have not been successful in opening any drawing in Rhino which generally “crashes” turning itself off or, in one case it said it had successfully opened but all I could see was a blank screen, I have been through all the suggested faults on the “help I’m a geriatric computer user” site (being of the older generation I would assume operated error), I would appreciate any suggestions as to where I am going wrong or maybe I should just retire.

Can you run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and post the results here?

Dear Helvetsaur,

Please find SystemInfo command results as requested for an 9,770 KB autoCAD drawing loaded onto my computer on 13/06/2018, the file opened but I couldn’t see any points on the drawing, when initially loading it itemised a full list of layers down the right hand side (vegetation, kerbs e.t.c) but reverted back to just displaying layers 01 to 05

I did make an attempt to open a 15,029 autoCAD drawing loaded onto my computer on 11/06/2018 except Rhino8 closed down shrinking back into “hibernation”, Rhino8 may work better in the warmer summer months?

Yours sincerely
Paul.

Raywell Valley full topo survey 3d with Stackyard South Adjusted Rhino8 system info.txt (2.54 KB)

Hi Paul -

Thanks.

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (AMD) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 1-13-2015 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context
Integrated accelerated graphics device with 2 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (AMD) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 1-13-2015 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context
Integrated accelerated graphics device with 2 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 3.3 (primary GPU’s maximum)

I suppose you could try to see if you find newer drivers for those GPUs bug your system isn’t really equipped to run Rhino 8 (see the system requirements / recommendations page).

To find links to the driver pages, open the Notifications panel in Rhino, select a “Video driver Update Recommended” entry, click the Details button, and then the Check Now… button.
-wim

Dear Wim,

Thankyou, it seems my computer was as geriatric as I am despite having open heart surgery to get its insides upgraded a few years ago, I have ordered a new laptop which arrives sometime next week, can I pause my free 90 day Rhino8 trial whilst my new laptop arrives and I get a teenager to set it up for me? (I will need all the time later not being the fastest learner on computers).

Yours sincerely
Paul.

Hi Paul -

I’m afraid we don’t have any infrastructure in place to do anything like that, no.
-wim

Dear Wim,

Could I alternatively cancel my licence and then reapply when I have the correct hardware?

Yours sincerely
Paul.

Hi Paul -

Once a trial version has been download, there is no way of pausing or cancelling this, and the license will expire after 90 days. When you purchase Rhino and find that it doesn’t work for you, you can always return the license and will be fully reimbursed.
-wim