Licensing Question - multiple users, one PC

McNeel has one of the best licensing policies I know of, however I have one problem. If a user walks away from a PC with Rhino running, a standalone license, and someone else logs into that same computer, they can’t start Rhino, because the license is already in use.

Doesn’t it stand to reason that if it is in use by two users on the same PC that only one user is actually using it? Is this a bug or the intended behavior?

Technically and actually the license is still in use. Here’s the problem; if Rhino took the license back and gave it to another user, then the suspended Rhino session would lose any unsaved data. The best option here is for the other user to log off their session so Rhino prompts them to save their file and close. If that’s too difficult, then shifting to a Zoo floating license mechanism would work.

@John_Brock [quote=“John_Brock, post:2, topic:462”]
Technically and actually the license is still in use.
[/quote]

I suppose, “Technically”, it is, but even going to the zoo could create a problem if two or three people do the same thing with a floating license, correct?

Correct.
That’s why logging out of a Windows session is clearly the best option.

Are you talking about Rhino 4 or Rhino 5? This shouldn’t be an issue with Rhino 5.

@brian Rhino 5

Can you send a screen shot of the message that says the license is already in use?

@brian I can Tomorrow

Message.jpg