Less detailed trees

Hello everyone,

I need to use trees for my city model. Unfortunately the trees are very detailed. I need to use so many trees and the software gets slower when the size of the trees are big. Is there a way to convert them into a less detailed version?

What would you recommend?

Best regards,

Pinar

Hi Pinar, look here:

I have the same problem ā€¦ you can create a custom view mode (ā€œinvisibleā€) where you turn of the meshes visibility, then use SetObjectDisplayMode to assign this mode to the tree meshes inside your tree block, repeat this for all viewports, and create a proxy geometry which represents the volume for your tree.

I wish there would be some more user friendly possibility but although many of us are requesting something like that for years now, it has not been implemented yet.

Letā€™s hope it gets addressed in R8

best

Andreas

1 Like

you might profit from some of the new rhino 7 display features:

and as a workarround i could recommend:

• use textures / Pictures instead of geometry
  • do a set up of your document, where layers represent different levels of detail
    for example draw a single box instead of a person on Layer Person_LowRes and have the full Details on Layer Person_HighRes
    and use LayerManager to store on / off
    or (as i do:) use a script that toggles layer visibility based on ā€œ_lowResā€ / ā€œ_highResā€ā€¦

hope that helps - best -tom

2 Likes

ā€¦ of course Rhino Nature will be great for doing stuff like this once it is released:

Flamingo plugin is mediocre renderer, but it makes good trees, shrubs, weeds, and other ground cover. The only flaw of the Flamingo plant editor is that it cannot make dense grass. Flamingo plants do not bloat Rhino models (.3dm files) because each plant is displayed as a few dozen dots rather than render meshes. These dots represent tree trunks and their branches. All Flamingo plants are easy to design and change, including leaves, flowers, and fruits.

They really need to develop a visual proxy system for complex components that you can toggle on or of IMHO.
All these complicated workarounds are really a pain IMHO, they could use the pointcloud ability of Rhino, since these display really fast.
If they would then give the user the ability to display every N th point (N would be user defined, dependant of the wanted complexity/performance).
It could even be done as a viewport mode ( ā€œN th pointcloud displayā€) then we could use the SetObjectDisplayMode command for certain objects (although it would be better to have the ability to define the point density on an per object basis)

We would have a very nice system that could boost performance by magnitudes !!! when working on complex scenes!

best

Andreas

Edit: Sorry, I just saw that this is a R5 treadā€¦

1 Like