Layout to dwg

Hi everyone

I wonder if there is a way to export a single layout to autocad model space?
Basically I’m looking for the same functionality as Make2d command but applied to layout/views.
I need to export facades of my model to dwg and I thought it would be a smart move to make a layout with all the facades and send it to dwg each time the model is updated.

2 Likes

Hi Archmix,

Did you get an reply regarding your question ? I am looking for the same thing. By the looks of it all the architects need it.

Best,
Jarek

@Jarekk

you can try if the beta 6 has the promised better pdf export so that curves dont get screwed up into polylines. as far as i see thats the only option getting layouts in vectors over to any other application. in rhino 5 thats still a mess of course.

personally i dont use layouts at all. rather use make 2d and create the layouts on another layer on the cplane. probably i am very rude now but i dont see any sense in layouts at all. just a useless implementation which some probably grew fond of.

if somebody could name me one good reason to use this then ok but for now i really think its :poop:

Hi RichardZ,

I am now testing beta 6 and it doesn’t look like it has. Exporting as a vector pdf doesn’t really work. I need all my views or perspectives to be exactly the same size in case i need to adjust something in photoshop later on in post production. It would be very comfortable to export all the layouts with set up views as dwg ideally with what is only visible on them with all the layers and at the same time as in any CAD program.

Obviously you can save your views and keep that exact position of a camera but if you are manipulating vieport sizes all the time maybe it is not the best way to always keep the same size of a drawing.

Make2D command is much better in Rhino 6 although still i find myself hiding what is not visible in the scene what seems to be unnecessary step. Secondly if the model is complex and you have your view set up and want to generate Make2D line drawing, without hiding whats not visible model usually crashes, what about if you want to keep what is beyond your vieport for further drawing extension ?

Possibly it is worth flagging it up with the beta.

Best,
Jarek

just was searching for a layout to dwg export function… would be very useful for architecture.

You can “Save as” dwg and get the layouts as part of the dwg file. But if you have 3D geometry in the layout it will show as wireframes in Autocad (if you open the file in Autocad).

Printing a vectorial pdf works fine. But the Adobe pdf printer crashes in our computers. We had to install another pdf printer (PDF995) instead.

Just wanted to necro this. The functionality of having each individual layout to a separate and unique DWG would be very useful when issuing sets.

2 Likes

hi everyone,
I have the same problem:
importing Rhino6 layouts into autocad.
Can you tell me how you solved it?
Thank you in advance

is there still not a way to do this?

Try this:

1.) Print the layout to PDF
2.) Open/import the PDF file in a new Rhino model
3.) Save the model as DWG

Does this work?

– Dale

1 Like

Trouble is the layer structure would be lost.

There is a workaround which I have found to work:

In the Layout space, activate a detail;
select the geometry within the detail;
export selected geometry to a new file;
de-activate the detail;
open the new file and keep the original file open;
go back to the layout of original file;
If more than one detail is used - select as before and copy paste into new file;
Finally copy the layout geometry/title blocks and importantly, the detail borders, to clipboard;
Go into the new file and create a blank layout to correct page size;
paste from clipboard the title block, detail borders etc;

This will result in a single layout in the new file with the correct layer structure, dimstyles etc and the details will align with the modelspace correctly.
This is scriptable in anyone is willing…

1 Like

Hi has there been a solution for this yet??

Thanks!

Sorry for replying in an old thread, just wanted to chime in and say that this would be a very useful feature.

1 Like

need it

1 Like
  • Print the Layout as “Rhino PDF”
  • Open a new Rhino Model and Import the saved PDF
  • Save As… DWG file

It works pretty fine!

1 Like

and then what? open DWG in illustrator? does it keep layout? does it update layers?

Hi @dale,

This method is fine to a certain extend, but not OK for production purposes, as a lot of precision is lost during the PDF conversion. Dashed linetypes are also getting exploded.
It would be really helpful to have a proper DWG export function for the layouts.

3 Likes

This is missing really sorely!
It’s a planned feature of VisualArq 3 btw.

However, since it’s useful for all Rhino users, should this not come from McNeel itself?

2 Likes

That kind of works, thanks!

That’s a problem, yes. Also, hatches loose their transparency.

(It’s also possible to open the PDF in Illustator, and export as DWG there. No advantage, though. Same issues.)

Changes in 3D that reflect to Layout and can be sent to the Customer/Colleague/Mechanic and whoever else in the construction chain, with a single click, is the reason for proper Layout systems.

A procedure that may happen 30 to 100 times, within a single project.

Are you sure you prefer to make 2D each time, all views and sections, which is not easy even using Section tools, which means, ie. 20 views× 100 times, = 2000 make 2Ds + 2000 move to specific place, for no absolute reason?

That was it.