Karamba 3d Beso for Shell 3d structure

Hello to all dear subscribers
I have really serious problems with the component of beso for shell in grasshopper and due to there is not even one source which a 3d structure have been analyzed in it for with this beso method So I don’t have a reliable source to see and check my code … the components for lateral loads are based on our Indigenous laws and which have been set for wind forces … at a normal circumstance it is working but when I change the mesh resolution in smaller meshes for accurate meshes for having a more accurate optimized mesh the beso for shell component going to e ruined apparently(but with no error) and the meshes going to be unstable … So I really dont know where is the problem and I would be thankful if any one knows a way that I can be sure abut the codes I would make because I don’t have enough time and I should defend my thesis as soon as possible … even if some one can introduce me a link or sample which have been written correctly and it is about beso for shell for a 3D structure (with a shell that is optimized by beso component in karamba)
I would be really thankful to hel me solve this problem
alireza mohammadi beso for shell 3d.gh (100.3 KB)

Hi, What exactly is the error that you receive? It is difficult to see what the problem is without some screenshots. If it is to do with the meshing, check that all your shells/beams are actually connected at the mesh nodes.

Try also uploading a reduced version of your script - maybe 5 floors, as it is quite difficult to troubleshoot such a large geometry.

1 Like

Hi dear Matthew
I am really thankful for your response actually I don’t get an error and the problem is this exactly here that I could not find out where is the problem.apparently the code is running until I reduce the mesh resolution and in this situation the beso Optimization show the optimized meshes which are going to an endless point in the space and I don’t get a reasonable result and I got really messed up… and I don’t have an idea that how can I send you the code with fewer floors because the topology optimization and beso component is affecting on the last 5 floors on a 50 floor tower with a core an slabs …how ever I made a simulation from just the outer shell and how ever my problem is really serious and deeper and I would be really thankful do help me in further steps but the first problem that I had written in upper lines and I can not really find out the mechanism I have uploaded two photos and I need to mention in some situations I does not relate to make the mash size smaller but if I change it in some situations to bigger mesh resolutions it would be show this cluttered model,too and I don’t know why! shouldn’t be in that case which you reduce the mesh resolution the structure would be more strong? I will upload the simple code and I would be really thank full that you can check that the wind forces are applied truly or not! I have wind force in just four facades with ratios that have been ruled in Iran and gravity … thank you very much for reading and helping me
bests,
alirezasimple code.gh (60.1 KB)

Hi @amohammadibaghbanan,

sorry i just tried to look at your definition but there are some components which I do not have and therefore cannot open - Axes, and Python 0.1. Are you able save the definition without these or direct me to where these components can be found?

1 Like

Hello dear @matttam
I apologize I forgot to mention that this component is for the wind of Iran based on the national rules in Iran… Can I have your email to send it for you directly because we have not published it yet …
bests,

Hi,
are you able to send the script without this component? It would make it easier to debug and also share with the community.

Hi dear Matthew
thank you very much for you attention and your time … I have internalised the data which we caught from the component and I have discripted them completely in the file … I would be really thank full if you can say where is the problem that my opmtised shell is smashing … thank you …
best regards simple code200606.gh (63.9 KB)

Hi dear Mathew
in there any way I can keep in touch with you or introduce some one to me I can fix this problem a little sooner …
Thanks for the effort
‌Bests

Hi,
sorry for the late reply, i tried to open your definition but there are alot of third party plugins, are you able to share the definition without any of these plugins as it makes it difficult to debug.

best,
Matthew

Hi,
As I said the third arty plugins are the components I didn’t used them in computation and they were just in the file . how ever I deleted them in new file and I approximately resolved the problem but I would be really thankful you can see and say how can I solve the problem directly …
thanks for your reply
alireza mohammadi.simple code200620.gh (70.2 KB)

Hi @amohammadibaghbanan,

i took a look at your script and noticed some strange things.

1. You can keep your walls as 4 large meshes rather than dividing them up into 300 meshes
  2. When using the MeshConst Load component, you only need to input 1 vector for each mesh. You also have the same vector duplicated 300 times, and according to the longest list principle in Grasshopper, the same vector will be applied for multiple meshes.
  3. Make sure to deactivate the deformation plug in the Model otherwise you have a crazy preview of the geometry.

This significantly improves your calculation time.

alireza mohammadi.simple code200620_mt.gh (65.5 KB)

Hi Dear Mathew
thank your so much for your attention but in this code I wanted to apply the wind load unequal based on the height of the building but we got them as a result of a component as a third party one but about the part " the same vector will be applied for multiple meshes" you are right… and I got a little confused about what to do for applying the mesh loads based when you say I should just have one vector but in real forces the wind load is different in different levels
Bests

Hi @amohammadibaghbanan, yes that is correct. Then I would recommend you to use the Variable Mesh Load component, and using a larger mesh rather than 300 smaller meshes, and then applying the list of vectors according to the list of nodes in the mesh. It is also recommended that you use the same mesh for the meshload and the shell as then you can ensure that the loads are distributed correctly.

Hi dear Mathew
thanks you so much for your replies … I am really thankful and appreciate you … your code was really great due to get my code really small from the amount of computation times … but the problem is still here … in the future code I send when I count the slabs and the core and count the wanted wind amplitudes again there is the problem … I tried a lot to debug the problem and I am sure that the problem is in the type of the wind load I apply because with mesh load constant some how it would be true but with mesh load var it would explode and would not work … based on the National regulations I should have pressure on the front side of the wind and in two sides along and behind side Suction forces so I can not change the forces
thank you so much that you listen and read patiantly
Bests
alireza mohammadibaghanan200623.gh (92.4 KB)

another new problem is when I increase the max iteration more than 39 in the model I sent for you that for the result it should be more than 00 based on my teachers speech the mesh will explode again I am really confused and tired :disappointed_relieved:

Hi again Dear Mathew sorry that I message a lot I am a little stressful at this time becuase of these few days I couldn’t find where is the problem … I debugged component by component and I made sure that the problem is w=exactly as you said is in the wind force componenet but I really dont know where is the problem … I tries almost all the circumistaces but the problem is Still there when I change the forces … but with your force just with one vector all the components work

Hi @amohammadibaghbanan,

as mentioned before, make the facade into one single mesh. Then to apply the windloads as you have your own plugin to calculate the forces, my recommendation is to then apply this as point loads onto the vertices of the mesh. Then you can be sure that the loads are applied correctly.

alireza mohammadibaghanan200623_mt.gh (104.2 KB)

1 Like

Hi dear Matthew
I am really thankful I could finally resolve the problem last night based on the guidance and your messages but I have just one final question for adding core and slabs as structural elements I should just add them to the model and check the analyse and get beso from the model?
It does not need to get the beso from the analyse? I got an analyse with them and linked the beso component direct to the model … And I wanted to see whether the final optimisation is true or not?
Thank you so much for your guides and answering me in this times … I would really appreciate you and Thank you for your efforts
Bests

For a proper analysis you should incorporate all the walls as this might have an affect on the BESO component, however it does signficantly increase the calculation time. You can definitely try this two step approach to see if it gives you accurate and quicker results.

Hello Dear Mathew
Sorry again opening this issue but we have a really big problem in all codes that I appreciate you had an effort to send me and either mines after having the beso component apparently all results are oke and the final visual result is ok but the displacement after the beso component with connecting the shell view component to it or an analysis component we have a so big displacement number (actually the structure is unstable) or the utlisation numbers in shell view are so big that it shows the result is not accetable and I dont know where is the problem :(((