Jagged lines

HI, When i make a diagonal polyline or rectangle the lines are jagged or stepped. I cant fix it. When i open it in illustrator and adobe pdf the lines are still jagged. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks
jagged lines.3dm (25.8 KB)

Hi Mati -

That’s just because the lines are not perfectly horizontal or vertical. When sloped, antialiasing will cause some fuzz, making it appear jagged. Increasing the weight of curves will make that less apparent.
-wim

1 Like

using a CAD software one would expect a certain degree of knowledge regarding computers and the limitations of monitors, but maybe you are just way younger than the average user in which case that would be natural.

anyway
there is nothing wrong with your curve, the monitor you are using is built up of pixels, many very tiny tiles that stack next to each other. if you have photoshop you can make a line and zoom in till you see the pixels, you will see something like that shown below.

though there is antialiasing as Wim mentioned, but that also will only help for a bit and will not remove these natural tiling effects completely. what antialiasing does is filling in the parts next to the actual lines with softer or less black (less in colour) tiles that will give it an impression of being smoother.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, maybe next time you can start it off without the condescension, but maybe you are just way younger than your average user in which case that would be natural.

nothing to be frantic about, still your question is regarding computer technology so basic that it could be seen as mocking the community, there are many strange request here which make no sense, yours did when one assumes that younger people with virtually zero experience with computers otherwise might have questions.

if you are further in age and similarly have zero experience my tip would be to inform yourself a bit more how computers work before you attempt getting into Computer Aided Design (CAD) which is here to help and not to get the work and the thinking done for you. otherwise you might be demanding resources which could be better invested elsewhere.

1 Like

Hello @Mati_bon,
try changing this setting

Regards,
Bartle

1 Like

not sure that will help much, he wrote:

I mean there are often complaints about “the AA doesn’t look smooth enough to me, I liked it better back in version 6.X, I can’t work like this why do you people suck so much” but your inquiry kinda takes the cake, sorry.

The very first monitors(and a 1983 games console)were actual literal “vector displays” that could trace a perfectly smooth line at any angle. In one color and line thickness.

Oh yes, antialiasing solve the screen annoyance only, it’s not ‘exportable’.

Maybe I miss something but what’s reported in the question is a screen or raster issue, it cannot be a vector one for defintion. In PDF I don’t see the problem if exported in vector from Rhino, if in raster use dpi to get smoother results, but I’m not so experienced to not miss something.

In the past I used monochrome CRT Monitors 640*480 and 1024x768 :man_facepalming:, that’s was jagged indeed :sweat_smile:

Best regards,
Bartle

that sounds interesting, lost technology that got bettered by a worse approach? got anything readily at hand before i start stirring up google?

we have laser technology which builds up any kind of geometry by speedy movements of a mirror which quickly turns the laser into entire shapes. of course the frequencies of the light pulses are the defining resolution i believe, maybe similar?

Basically they were giant analog oscilloscopes with digital deflection control circuitry. One of the US auto companies used one made by Evans and Sutherland that was very similar to the display consoles used by the Sage air defense system and later air traffic control 'scopes. The screen was about 20 inches in diameter and the beam could be deflected to any given point in a 4096x4096 position array. A long persistence phosphor was used so the refresh rate could be pretty slow allowing some pretty complex geometry to be displayed.

They were vertical displays with a light pen as a “mouse”. As experience built in the first few years it quickly became obvious that an entire arm with a little lightpen at the end was a very heavy and thus fatiguing tool when used continuously for an 8-10-12 hour day.

1 Like

It was a primitive version of a CRT, as was explained. The game console was the Vectrex.

1 Like