It seems like my Rhinoceros doesn't want to complete its rendering cycles

These are my rendering settings. What happens is that when it gets to around 400/1500 cycles it just stops rendering and all I can do is apply effects or save the processed image.
It also keeps happening that when I launch a render it processes one cycles and just gives out a completely black image and in order to get a “normal” rendering I have to close and reopen the program, but then I go back to the first problem I explained above.
Thanks in advance for you support, feel free to ask for further information about my system/settings or clarity about what I’m trying to explain as English is not my first language.

1 Like

Please run the Rhino command _SystemInfo and paste the text result in a reply here. Thanks.

Rhino 7 SR7 2021-6-9 (Rhino 7, 7.7.21160.05001, Git hash:master @ d2161989109d5dacba531310b5d345ce6f4da9f6)
License type: Valutazione, build 2021-06-09
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2021-09-30

Windows 10.0.19043 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 15Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [60% battery remaining]

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 6-21-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 471.11
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-21-2021
Driver Version: 30.0.14.7111
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\erasm\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.4.1\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.4.1.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

There you go, thanks for your help.

It’d be interesting to hear if rendering completes when you disable the denoiser.

I haven’t noticed any influence of the denoiser being on or off in this case. And of course at 400 cycles the image is not clear enough to let the denoiser produce a good image for the standard I’m looking for

What I am trying to figure out is why the rendering stops at 400 samples for you.

I have not seen or heard of that before, nor can I think of a reason why.

Can you please create a video of that happening in the render window? It’d be useful to see the entire render window, including its status and title bars.

Does this happen with any model? Say even just a simple box or sphere in an otherwise empty file?

Alright let me try to record something and to run some more tests, it’ll take some time

No hurries. I am supposed to be on vacation anyway

2021 07 08 12 11 09 - YouTube This is the rendering attempt, this time it stops at around 160 cycles. I’ll try to test with simpler shapes

And again, I drew a sphere, gave it a material, set an environment for reflections and a plane where the sphere sits (I don’t know its proper name in english) so it’s a similar case as the one in my actual 3dm file I’m trying to render, but with a simpler shape, and this time it stopped at 231 cycles. I’m sorry if I’m kind of interrupting your vacation, this is not really urgent as I have to hand in this University work in 4-5 days and renderings are only a part of it so if you need you can take your time with the replies.

Oh and I just noticed that it says this thing the second before stopping the rendering

In your video I see you use the Discord desktop app.

I have seen crashdumps and reports from users where after I suggest them to exit that program Rhino and rendering start to work much better.

Your last screenshot shows a CUDA error that I have seen happen in these cases.

Please turn off any Discord any other software that provides overlays - most often game related tools. This includes Geforce experience and its game replay stuff, shadow play I believe it is called.

These interfere with Rhino as they hook into our process and cause sometimes instability.

It seems to be working, I disabled everything gaming related and I’m at 800 cycles with no problems. What about the fact that every time I try to launch a render for the second time in the same Rhino session it just renders one cycle and gives out a black image?

There appears to be a driver problem. You may want to try the stable production branch of the Nvidia drivers, not the new feature branch, for added stability of the driver.

Thank you very much for your help. I don’t know if I have to close this topic by myself in some way now though

No need to close (: