Cycles filled with frustrating bugs and performance

Hi,
Just updated to latest service release and am working on a project and of course Cycles is just filled with bugs and won’t let me get a rendering out for my client.

1 again server busy error
2. Cycles causes Rhino to stall requiring me to shut down using the task manager
3. Cycles wont let me check the NVidia denoiser keeps stalling and or crashing rhino.
4. Won’t let me move the rendering box
5. Cycles is so slow and clunky filled with bugs it’s not worth using and this is one simple object and it’s taking hours to render.
6.Trying to press the stop icon on the render box takes ages to activate.

RM

Hello

Please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
Ops forgot that it’s been hectic getting these plans out today.
On thing I want to say is I can’t thank Steve Baer enough because the layout/pdf viewport part of Rhino works really well and always gets me out of jams when clients want things usually at the last minute. That is a huge thing I can’t thank those who worked on that end enough.

Cycles is great when it works and I know Nathan has his hands full porting it and getting all that working. It’s just I keep forgetting it’s tender than I go to do something when pressed for time.
I’m also running into a few more bugs:
Edge softening produces creases on the image or model
The texture which is cast iron drag and drop from the menu gets completely lost in the rendering it looks nothing like the object in the view port. In the rendering it renders smooth but in the viewport it is cast iron texture.

Rhino 7 SR8 2021-7-15 (Rhino 7, 7.8.21196.05001, Git hash:master @ 45c1fd6dc85c7c1cce8c0bbe6f3e16481ae9abfa)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-07-15
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 10.0.19043 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 11-18-2018 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #1
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 9-30-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 456.71
> Integrated accelerated graphics device (shares primary device ports)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-30-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5671
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
E:\rhino3d\BoltGen\BoltGen1_62.rhp “BoltGen” 0.0.0.0
E:\Downloads\elefront411\ElefrontProperties.rhp “ElefrontProperties” 1.0.0.0
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\WebCam (b03d9978-150a-4297-95e0-d8a50df7c0b0)\1.0.0.0\WebCam.rhp “WebCam” 1.0.0.0
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.2 (e24ee14a-9514-47da-8fe6-f6e61b20160e)\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.rhp “Twinmotion Direct Link 2020” 1.0.6.0
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.4.0\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.4.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.8.21196.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.8.21196.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.8.21196.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.8.21196.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.8.21196.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\PanelingTools\2020.9.1.565\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SectionTools\2020.12.7.446\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Hi @3dsynergy
Your graphics driver could do with an update - especially if you keep your Windows installation updated. Both benefit from being kept fairly up-to-date at all times. Also - on a more personal note - I’ve been seeing more stable (and perhaps also visually better) results with the Intel denoiser, rather than the Nvidia one. I guess it’s a matter of personal preference, but at least it could be worth a try.
HTH, Jakob

Hello - can you see if Cycles is actually using your Nvidia card?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
Yes I have that checked and it’s still a sluggish beast.
RM

Hi @Normand,
Thanks for your help I might try updating my drivers but I truly don’t think that’s the problem. Cycles compared to anything else I use feels like it’s still in the beta state. I did try the intel denoiser but I don’t think the results are that much better. Also the denoisers blow out the cast iron texture a bug I mentioned so I ended up forgetting about sending a render and just did a pdf with a viewport.
Also I see other bugs but I’m too busy to mess with it all.
RM

Hi @3dsynergy,

Primary display: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Intel) Memory: 1GB
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (NVidia) Memory: 4GB

Based on the above, I can see that your laptop was mostly likely manufactured in 2015.

Plus, your primary OpenGL GPU only has 4GB of RAM, which is 4GB short of what we recommend for Rhino 7.

I’m sure both of these contribute to the lack of performance you are experiencing.

You might try disabling some of the plug-in that do not ship with Rhino, such as Twinmotion, and see if that helps.

– Dale

I would really consider an at-least-one-generation-newer video card, with more RAM, to be the minimum for GPU rendering to really be useful.

You can also try moving the Cycles performance sliders one tick to the left. As already mentioned your hardware is dated, and not very powerful - cutting it some slack may help with gaining some responsiveness.

Yea I know the old hardware deal. But I use Vray in Max all day long and tons of particles/etc also special fx using phoenix/ running forest pro and water with foam and mist so you really can’t blame it totally on the hardware. I get decent performance using the cpu in Vray and arnold and I can also use the gpu and get good results much faster and better quality than with cycles using either of these engines. Cycles can’t compare on the same hardware to Vray in max for quality and speed and ease of setup.
I can understand why McNeel is optimizing it for more powerful machines but that begins to exclude lots of users.
RM