ISSUE - double-click gh file opens WIP

Hi,

This is a problem. Double-clicking .gh file should not open RhinoWIP.

It should open Rhino6.

Hi @ivelin.peychev,

As far as I can see, Rhinos do not set a file association for .gh files so I’d guess that at some stage you chose to use the WIP to open one and had the ‘always use this app’ box ticked.

In Windows 10, to change the setting to Rhino 6, right-click any .gh file in explorer and choose ‘Open with’. Don’t select Rhino 6, rather select ‘Choose another app’ and from the list then presented choose Rhino 6 and make sure the ‘always’ box is ticked.

Regards
Jeremy

I haven’t set it up. WIP was installed after Rhino6 I assume it just took over the association.

UPDATE:
Hmm…now it opens R6. A meanwhile fix I guess.

Hi @ivelin.peychev,

Last night I checked on my laptop and there were no preset associations. This morning I checked my office desktop and it had associations to the WIP like yours. I installed the latest R6 SRC and the associations were changed to that. I installed the latest WIP and the associations changed again.

I went back to the laptop and did both installs and neither changed the associations. Don’t know why the machines are behaving differently but it might be because on the laptop I don’t normally run an account with admin rights (I assume them for the installs when asked), whereas on the desktop I do.

@pascal, I agree with Ivelin that this is undesirable: please could the WIP install not change the .GH and .GHA file associations. Ideally the earlier Rhino version installers shouldn’t set them either.

Regards
Jeremy

Hi - I’ve put this on the list as RH-57590.

Not having a file association for the .gh file format seems wrong to me…
-wim

I agree that the case isn’t strong. But if it isn’t set then Windows will ask which app you want to use and you can either set it permanently to what you want or leave it unset, which is nice if you juggle versions a lot.

Maybe there’s also a (low priority) wishlist item to add a plain text header to the .gh and .gha files with the Rhino version in it, like the .3dm files.

Regards
Jeremy

Would the idea there be that, when a .gh file is created in Rhino 5 and you double-click it in Windows Explorer, that Rhino 5 would open? Or would you somehow query that information with a tool in Rhino, in Notepad, …?
-wim

Hi @wim,

Ideally, I would like a GH file to be associated with Rhino version, not the extension. Some metadata inside the .gh file to say which version of Rhino it was last opened with and to try to open that one if it is installed.

I wrote a very simple command line utility that I associate with .3dm files in Windows. It queries the header information and runs the version of Rhino that matches the file. It was someone else’s idea, but I was surprised how useful I found it for opening files downloaded from discourse. Opening a Rhino 5 and Rhino 6 - #11 by jeremy5
If I had similar header info in .gh files I could extend it to do the same thing (and if the header info was in the same format as in the .3dm files I could just add the associations to an .ini file without needing to change the code).

Jeremy

1 Like