Isometry in Cycles (Cyclometry?)

Fun blend of simple geometry and projection versus an advanced render engine.

16 Likes

So this is done completely in Cycles? Not composed of a render and linework in illustrator/photoshop etc?
If so itā€™s nice for conceptual diagrams.

Cool! Could you elaborate a little bit more about the process?

Thanks,
JosƩ

Yup, pure Cycles ViewCaptureToClipboard result.

Groundplane is just diffuse with a single grid cell texture (bitmap, hand drawn in Paint.NET), single HDR environment, and a bunch of CurvePiping for the edges with a pure black material. Nothing fancy, though obviously I did have to figure out which edges should get which thickness manually.

1 Like

Oh, and the ā€œISOMETRYā€ is a decal.

When will it be available?
Vittorio

Cycles is available as a display mode in the RH6 WIP.

Ah, bummer, I thought the thicker ā€œsilhouetteā€ edges were something that the display mode figured outā€¦ --Mitch

2 Likes

The display mode is called Raytraced.

Nopeā€¦ good olā€™ fashioned human labour.

Incidentally hereā€™s a screen-cap of the viewport:

What kind of rendering device do you use?

CPU, I get corrupted display (and sometimes crashes) when I try my AMD.

Device 0: CPU > Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz > 0 | False | True | False | CPU
Device 1: OPENCL_AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing_Tonga_01:00.0 > Tonga > 0 | True | True | True | OpenCL

You could try setting environment variable, see

for info.

@DavidRutten
your rendered view looks nice - would you share the setting? maybe even add this as another option to rhino wip?

That seems to work, adding the environment variable adds a third ā€˜deviceā€™ to my list, which if I select it is a one-way ticket to hard-crash central, but selecting the ā€˜oldā€™ AMD device now works. Itā€™s a little bit faster than CPU, not hugely. Is that expected?

I have to say itā€™s rather nice not having the ventilator kick in right away while using the card.

Itā€™s standard settings, using one of the standard HDR environment maps.

@DavidRutten
ok, sorry, donā€™t get it. do i have to add the HDR somewhere in settings -> view -> display modes -> rendered? or somewhere else?

Thatā€™s a labour of love. Looks amazingā€¦ Iā€™d have that as a poster or a screen saver, but then Iā€™m old(er) and it brings back memories :smiley:

Render settings panel (the tabs where one can have layer manager, material manager etc), enable Skylighting and either set a custom environment, or let it use the same environment as the background.