Isometry in Cycles (Cyclometry?)

got it, thanks. but there seems to be more going on, i mean the thick edges. is it made via a custom material?

The thick edges are done with pipe and a solid black material…

When does the crash happen?

got a similar look now. the gird is a small and simple texture as color on a custom material which i used as ground plane. but it’s also not displayed infinite, also AMD card :unamused:

@2DCube
thanks for the quote - should have read more carefully before posting, sorry.
can also be done in the display settings. Surface Edge Settings -> Edge thicknes (pixels)

Thanks David for the explanation. I wanted to know if that silhouette effect was automatically created by the renderer, but seems like It is not.

A few seconds after I switch to Raytraced using the new device.

Command: RhinoCycles_SelectDevice
Select device to render on (-1 for default, 0-2) <1>: 2
User selected device 2: ccl.Device: Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (OpenCL), Id 2 Num 1 Name OPENCL_AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing_Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz_ID_1 DisplayDevice True AdvancedShading True PackImages True

Ah, the Intel OpenCL stuff seems to be quite buggy. I thought you were using your AMD device instead. OpenCL on CPU is probably not noteworthy faster than vanilla CPU.

edit: I probably should filter intel OpenCL devices out of the list until those become stable.

1 Like

If you mean that you see the groundplane edges when you zoom out a lot - yes, that is because Cycles has only float precision. On larger coordinates you’ll see render errors. That is why (at least for now) the groundplane has a finite size.

edit: nvm, I just see the problem you actually meant. Could you post the 3dm for me so I can have a look? Also info on your GPU could be useful (output of RhinoCycles_ListDevices and what you selected from that list)

i should mention, that i wanted to create a similar style for the “rendered” view not “raytraced”. it’s a screenshot from the rendered view. this one two:

there you can see better what i mean with “not infinite”. the ground plane or material/texture which is applied to the ground plane looks more like a strip.

but only in parallel/iso. in perspective it looks fine:

sorry, this post is actually about cycles

Ah, that looks a bit like an OpenGL error. That stuff is currently quite a bit in flux, so hopefully it gets better soon :slight_smile:

great, thanks!