Is upgrade to Rhino 7 necessary for pure Grasshopper users

Hi!

I would love to hear opinion from others - is upgrade to Rhino 7 from 6 necessary if we are using only Grasshopper.

I don’t know exactly what’s happening underneath, but could it be possible, we will lose some of the plugins because of updates to Rhino’s 7 Grasshopper, which won’t be available to us.

I think I saw something like this for Rhino 6, were GH was having small incremental updates, and I had to update Rhino, if I wanted to use some specific plugin’s newest version.

Thank you for your opinion/knowledge regarding this!

Best regards,
Janis

Grasshopper improvements

I think this list is not complete since has SubD components if I am not wrong.

You could continue for life with your current version as it is using obsolete versions of GH plugins, but that way you don’t contribute to improving the tools you use, and if you don’t have the latest or the best, you will end up losing competitiveness professionally.

2 Likes

AS @Dani_Abalde shows, there are some fundamental differences.

Grasshopper supports SubD objects and Quadremesher.

Grasshopper scripts can be wrapped in a command.

A big area of improvement is the distribution of definitions across a large group:

1. Grasshopper makes sure the the correct plugins installed automatically before loading the definition.
  2. If plugins are missing and cannot be installed, components stay in place and connected.

Also, Grasshopper in V7 runs in:

• Revit
  • Bricscad
  • Sofistic

Using Compute, Grasshopper definitions can be solved on the cloud.

A few more

• About 1,000 new functions/properties in RhinoCommon which can all be used from Grasshopper
  • Cluster performance improvements (see Cluster runtime very slow)