Is this kind of planar mapping possible?

@DavidEranen and @nathanletwory
Is there some work on this still planned for Rhino 6?
I tried again with the latest beta and I don’t see any improvement.

@DavidEranen hasn’t added such a mapping yet AFAIK.

I haven’t gotten to this yet. So much to do so little time :stuck_out_tongue:

You can follow the YouTrack item here: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-33730

Thanks!

Hi All,

I’m glad this is on YT, it would be great to have built in.

In the meantime, I’ve been using a python script to generate the mapping. It works using the baked mesh texture coordinates only, as texture mapping settings don’t seem to be accessible in Rhinocommon. The inputs are a camera location, three points defining the plane of the view frame, and a mesh. frustum2.py (1.2 KB)

On another note, the spherical mapping described above is geometrically incorrect for mapping textures to a view frustum, as we can see in the pincushion distortion. The key difference is that the ‘plane’ in a spherical projection is curved, but correct perspective requires projection against a flat plane oriented to the view.

Is the screenshot from your mapping?

Yes, it is.

Are you showing here the resulting mapping from a different view point then?

Yes, exactly. The rectangle is the frame boundary. If you were to place the camera at the center point, it would look like a flat mapping of the texture.

@DavidEranen, @nathanletwory

Revisiting the subject…

Here’s the result in the current WIP in a rendered viewport, a Rhino render, a V-Ray render and a raytraced viewport:

The rendered viewport is almost usable but all the renderers are worse than before.

I join the file I’m testing with: Mapping question_2017-03-21-rv6.3dm (6.0 MB)

No work on mapping like that has been done yet. @davideranen is tied up in a deadline project atm.

Thanks Nathan for the answer.
Don’t hesitate to reach for me when the time comes, I’d be glad to help to get this right.

I just logged this issue as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-43457

This old tool allow to setup a camera projection for meshes. The mapping is fixed to the mesh and so the camera can be moved without to destroy the mapping. Doe’s it help?

TextureProjectionTools.rhp (28 KB)

Thanks for your help Micha.
But it doesn’t look like it works. After extracting the render meshes and selecting them with this TextureMapScreenSpace command, the “Rendered viewport” is still okay:

But here’s the Cycles render:

And the RhinoRender:

If I delete the object’s texture mapping and then use the command “TextureMapScreenSpace” on them, I get consistent results between renderers. But there’s some distortion:

I’ll try to create better meshes, maybe that will help.

Right, it depends on the mesh density. It’s a very basic tool only. I hope it’s better than nothing. :wink:

With a dense and uniform mesh, it’s pretty good!

I should be able to get the same result when V-Ray for Rhino 6 becomes available.

Do you know where this plug-in comes from and how does it work?

I’m not sure VfR6 will help you. What do you expect?

I got the the little mapping tool at the old Rhino forum, I think from @DavidRutten

It’s just that I hope that V-Ray will be able to use the mapping with the same result as Rhino Render.