Is it a waste of time to report Rhino bugs?

In the past Pascal Golay (or another McNeel&Ass employee) verified user bug reports and posted them in https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issues/RH. This policy changed a few month ago. There is no response to some user bug reports. Perhaps the new policy means that some bugs will not be fixed in foreseeable future. It would be good idea to ask the users about their priorities. Is fixing bugs higher priority for them than new features?

In response to the topic title: no, it is not a waste of time.

Bugs are logged, triaged and fixed all the time.

Here are the publicly visible items. There is much more than meets the eye…

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issues

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issues?q=%23Resolved

There has been no policy change. Bugs are reported and put into the tracking system every day - at least one just this morning… Generally the link is posted here but not always.

I assume Nathan is referring to the fact that a lot bug reports are mcneel-eyes-only. Whenever a bug report contains client contact details or data, we make the entry hidden to the general public.

Indeed

Sometimes I experience not getting answers (not common though). I try to bump them every now and then but it doesn’t always work. Or maybe things get written down internally but I have no clue about it. I’ll take the opportunity to bring up a few topics I remembered without replies from anybody at McNeel:

Some of these might have been solved already, some might have never been noticed. Who knows?
There’s also things being brought up & get a reply but then just seem to get forgotten…

1 Like

Yep! I have several posts that did not even get the “someone from McNeel edited the post” Notification.

Replied to most of them.

1 Like

Kelvin filed this bug 6 years ago: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-13288
The bug has not been fixed yet.

I have reported these bugs 3 days ago: Rhino 6.9 - big problems with big monitors
No response from McNeel&Ass yet. I guess I have to wait 6 years before complaining about it.

Oh… I wish that was true some times…
:wink:

3 Likes

In my experience it is not a waste of time. Sure - some stuff has lower priority and some stuff never gets fixed, but a lot of stuff does get fixed. When I encountered bugs with Autocad, I wrote to tech support and I never ever got an answer, people’s experiences differ. I dare to say McNeel is one of the CAD devs with the strongest ties to the community and user base. First thing I do when I encounter a bug I write directly to tech support, a lot of times it is my own stupidity and ignorance that causes what I think are “bugs” and probably waste Mcneel’s time. Just sharing my experience. I’ve been using Rhino before version 1, over 20 years of Rhino I can definitely say a lot of bugs have been fixed and I’m quite happy to have contributed to bug reporting. It made Rhino better.

2 Likes

So should one report bugs by writing to tech support instead of here on Discourse?

Same stuff, I guess, but I use tech when working on confidential things. It doesn’t go through the forum.

Either way is fine. We are pretty active on the forum, and most reports I think get handled in a way or other.

The good part of reporting here on the forum is when there are other users with the same problem. They might search for solutions and end up in the (your) thread with the report and likely YT link. That grows our shared knowledge.

Yeah I get that and appreciate that as well. But there’s also reports not being seen (or perhaps being ignored?) on discourse, as shown above. I don’t know if this is the case but if sending it to tech support makes sure it’s being seen and noted it might be worth sending it straight there instead?

1 Like

Yes, I checked just yesterday that I have a lot of threads with zero replies. I must have annoyed McNeel employees so much they have muted me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I know @piac certainly has done so.

@ivelin.peychev
You are mistaken. We do not “mute” forum posters.

I would suggest that comments you make that are not responded to may be generally ignored for different reasons.

If you are offering suggestions for changes and have supported your ideas in a constructive way, other like-minded readers will likely comment, and gain support. We use these as an informal way to gauge the usefulness of suggestions. If no one else supports you, that tells us that it’s not a wide-spread issue.

If your comments are written in an angry tone and are not supported with examples and reasons for the problems they solve, then don’t be surprised if they are generally ignored.

Hell, then all new functionalities are going to be just for land architects and civil engineers, since most of the users (especially here on the forum) are such.

Angry tone, me? A misconception I would say. I use a lot of irony, sarcasm and jokes. Too bad I’m being understood wrong.

One of my questions (threads) is What are phantom objects?
Why would that be ignored? It is not explained in the api documentation, and yet it is used there.

I just checked I have over 30 threads with no reply, if I add them here I’ll flood the thread.