Invisible Picture object

Hi Wim, thank you for getting back to me. I note that by including the email address from the response from Pascal has prompted a response to that issue which is still there, but as of yet I have not had the time to deal with it, but rather just work around it.

My current issue however is not work around able as it requires the picture plane to work and not be invisible.

I greatly appreciate the effort the Mcneel team puts in to their support, and I equally understand that it must be frustrating when someone does not get back with positive feedback, and my response is an apology to Pascal for not doing so. I have my reasons due to time constraints which make my current issue that much more stressful, considering I can not get my work out.

Is there some solution to help me solve my “invisible” picture plane?

I have been in communication with Bernat regarding this issue, but have despite my emails have not received any feedback that has solved my issue.

I thank you and the Mcneel support team for their assistance and look forward to some feedback that will help me solve the invisible picture plane issue I am currently experiencing.

To bring you up to speed, I was instructed to update my intel and Nvidia drivers which I eventually managed to do. This however has not solved my issue. I did suggest last night before logging off to Bernat that possibly a reinstall would solve the issue, but so far no feedback. Considering the issue I brought up with Pascal, this may be the best solution.

The only point I am unsure of is the re licensing of my Rhino once installed. I have to date always used a license key local to my computer, however with the latest Rhino purchase it was suggested to rather go for the zoo license which I did, so am unfamiliar with the procedure to reinstall.

Here’s me hoping. Sincerely Rob Geyer.

Hi Bernat, following up on my issue. It is still unresolved. I have as stated, followed your suggestion of updating my display drivers and while it took some time for me to figure it out, I have now done this. I have in addition uninstalled my Rhino and reinstalled it, still with no success in resolving my issue.

I have in addition gone back over the email chain so as to be sure I did not miss points, questions or suggestions in my haste to resolve this issue.

1. Bernat:“Are you receiving an error message while installing it?” Answer: No

2. Bernat: type systemInfo and send resultant report. Response, did this. Report sent.

3. Bernat: update display drivers, Intel and Nvidia. Response, I did this and sent screenshots to illustrate.

In addition as stated I have tried an uninstall and a reinstall.

To clearly outline the events leading up to the issue and beyond I will present it in a step by step action below.

1. Opened first Rhino file.

2. Opened a second Rhino file before the first file has fully opened.

3. Shortly after second file is initiated, a message is presented to update Rhino.

4. I select update on the message window.

5. The second file opening presents the same message to update Rhino.

6. I close the second Rhino file so as to not confuse the update

7. I close the second Rhino update window.

8. I then close first Rhino file.

9. Go to open first file again and note none of my Rhino files have their Rhino Icon (unrecognised by Windows & I need to select software with which to open my Rhino files).

10. I run the last Rhino exe file I had to see if that brings my Rhino icons back.

11. Check my Rhino files and all seems in order, and open the first file.

12. I attempt to import a picture plane and select an image from file.

13. I open the image which is visible in my Rhino viewport, up until the point where I have completed the command then it (picture surface) disappears.

14. I discover the picture plane surface exists in the viewport, but is invisible.

15. I check the different viewports to see if there is a change in visibility. There is none.

16. I check document properties to see if there is a setting that controls picture plane visibility. I find none.

17. I check the display settings in Rhino but find no solution.

18. Contact Rhino assist.

19. Get feedback from Bernat to send systemInfo report.

20. Run systemInfo and send the file to Bernat.

21. Get feedback to update both display drivers.

22. Have issues getting the drivers to load, and faced with “drivers up to date”.

23. Eventually get the latest drivers using the Dell assist and Nvidia experience.

24. Downloaded the latest Rhino 6 Windows.

25. Ran a repair option and got a successfully repaired message, but issue still exists.

26. Did an uninstall, successfully.

27. Did a fresh install, successfully.

The result is I still have the issue and can not get my work out. Rather frustrating.

I trust you will get back to me with some solutions.

Thank you, sincerely Rob Geyer.

Hi Bernat, I am attaching a screenshot of the picture plane surface details, along with the uninstall and reinstall screenshots.

Thank you, Rob.

Hi @wim,

I think the later posts referencing Bernat need splitting out into a separate thread…

1 Like

I’ve moved this into a separate thread to avoid confusion with the issue in the original thread.

Hi Rob, please post the output of the Rhino SystemInfo command in a reply here.
Thanks!