Installing a new Python module in Rhino for Mac version

How to install a new Python module in Rhino for Mac version? There is a thread for Windows but Mac apparently has no such options.

You can put them into /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/7.0/scripts, at least if it’s an IronPython compliant module.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @diff-arch
Can you clarify what do you mean by “put them into…”. Because if I just copy and paste a module folder (for example Numpy package) from a virtual environment (where it has been installed) into the folder you have pointed out, it doesn’t give access to the module through rhino python editor.

numpy is a CPython module. In Rhino 7, we’re dealing with a separate installation of IronPython 2.7, which is based on .Net (C#).

This unfortunately means that you can’t use most CPython packages, like numpy, because of compatibility issues. IronPython is also behind in development compared to CPython, which already is at version 3.10.+.

The scripts folder only works with modules that are IronPython compliant, meaning that it’s mostly useful for modules that you create yourself, specifically for Rhino.

If I’m not mistaken, there are efforts being made to make Rhino 8 work with CPython.

1 Like

It’s awesome! Thank you @diff-arch for your clarification!

Hi @diff-arch ! Have you tried the GH-CPython plugin? Apparently it can be a temporary solution before official support CPython

No, I haven’t so far.

1 Like

I would like to install pillow (PIL) to the CPython 3.9 that comes with Rhino 8 Grasshopper Script component on Mac. How to achieve this? Where can I enter the terminal command with pip?

Thank you!

I believe I just find myself the answer:

1 Like