Import 3ds file to Rhino 5

import

Hi Support,

I recently purchased a model from TurboSquid thinking that the file format (3ds) would import into Rhino. Its not working and i’m not sure why. Could someone please help?

.max file conversion to any rhino file supported
(Pascal Golay) #2

Hi Daisy - is there an error message? If so, what does it say, exactly?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Thank you for your prompt reply! I had to download sketch up to export 3ds to obj - so i finally got it opened! It was quite strange though as I have been able to open 3ds files in later versions of Rhino… - The Error message said “Error opening 3ds file.”

Thank you again for getting back to me!

(Pascal Golay) #4

Hi Daisy - I’ll have to check but my guess of the moment is the file may be too large - the olds 3ds format had a cap of 65,000 or so polys and I think, though I am not sure, that we may still adhere to this limit.

-Pascal

I am fairly new to Rhino…

I need to add trees to my model, so I downloaded a .3ds file and imported it into Rhino 5.
The problem is that the textures seem to be lost in the way, I mean they are loaded bu do not display correctly… what might be the problem?

(Pascal Golay) #6

Hi Nicole - try putting the textures and the 3ds file in the same folder and open the 3ds file from there - any luck?

-Pascal

Thanks… They are in the same folder in fact.
But it seems like the textures it is referring to are not the ones in the folder, maybe it’s a problem with the file I downloaded?

Any of you has a tree with textures that I can test?

(Pascal Golay) #8

Ah, OK, I did not see it in your image but I guess you’re not showing all file extensions - I see an .mtl file in there however, which I associate with the obj format, not 3ds - do you have an .obj version of this file?

-Pascal

No I dont, what you see in the folder is what I downloaded. Probably the file is the problem right?

(Pascal Golay) #10

Hi Nicole - that is my guess of the moment - mtl is an obj thing as far as I know. Does the 3ds file show any material assignments on the objects at all when opened in Rhino? And, you are viewing this in a rendered viewport, correct?

-Pascal

Yes the 3ds file shows materials but I think some files are missing…

I guess I will have to find other sources to download the tree I need then! Thanks anyways