I need help! I so much want to like Rhino 6

Hi Andy,

Yes, That’s what I thought. I am aware that my card is old and therefore I won’t benefit much from the new stuff. I’ll look into getting a better card soon.

That’s bad news for me… but I understand that you needed to fix that. I’ll look into the issue when upgrading Vray to 3.6. Till that time I think I need to turn off bump maps for the modeling work and turn it on for rendering.

Thanks anyway for explaining

Unfortunately, I feel the same. Rhino since 1997 but after losing T-Splines and VSR on V6 I am not upgrading.
Get me some opensubD and I will be back.

2 Likes

This sounds like something we should be able to fix. I’m on vacation this week, but will try to take a look when I get back into the office.

@gustojunk, @EricM,

I’ve logged your comments.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-46010

– Dale

1 Like

Hi Steve,
The script compiler plugin problems are already fixed. See this post:
Script Compiler plugins won't load in Rhino 6

thanks Tobias

Agreed. Cycles and a few other nifty little things aren’t worth it

1 Like

Oh, I think you are so wrong. Just the new OpenGL display alone is worth it! It is a huge step forward in being able to fully understand the shape of what you are working with, so going back to Rhino5 isn’t an option at all for me. And the fact that we support another round of years of development for just a few bucks isn’t a shitty argument either. And if you divide the price for the upgrade on the years it took to develop it then you’ll see how cheap Rhino is. So if you like V5 then I suggest you support what you love and trust that your love will be returned :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Jørgen,
Thanks for your opinion. Yeah, the new display… I guess it needs new hardware. On my setup things are worse in V6 display wise. The constant switch to Bbox display drives me nuts. And to me it appears laggy and slower. Like I said, I’m using a card almost 10 years old.

Concerning the love and support for Rhino… that’s still there and won’t change. Actually I bought V6 already. Now all I want is liking it and using it, which I still don’t, unfortunately.

thanks, Tobias

Alas, you are like a lot of users who have been running R5 on “just OK” video cards. Unfortunately, your effective upgrade price will need to include an R6 capable card. Maybe even a computer with more cores, near 4 Ghz clock, and faster memory. When I see the prices Dell (they keep sending me flyers because my desktop is a Dell) asks for pretty powerful laptops these days, it seems about the same as I paid for my K4000 video card!

I use Rhino 5, then decided to give Rhino 6 a go.

It works well with the new large monitors, giving crisp detail.

I upgraded my computer and graphics card to drive the 4k monitor, but was disappointed with the slow cursor movement. I have changed setting to Jerky, and rough, but this makes no difference to the stuttering cursor movement.

My Flamingo rendering from rhino 5 no longer works in Rhino 6, also penguin fails as well.

So now I am tempted to go back to using Rhino 5,

I am persisting with 6, saving files for rendering in Rhino 5, a bit backward but it works.

I know there are upgrades for Flamingo, but having spent money on them already I don’t wish to keep shelling out cash, for something I already have! Be it an older version.

I do wonder why I spent money on 6, ! still thinking through that one.

I have looked at the various video and Utube clips showing what 6 can do.

And to be honest most of it I shall never use.

Rhino 6 is good for its updated display, yet 5 still performs admirably for my needs.

I think some of you have reach the optimal setup years ago to do your work, and nothing new is better. So maybe not upgrading software, hardware, monitors is what you need to do.

…but bitching about Rhino because some old stuff that is not worth supporting anymore doesn’t work is pointless. McNeel should not be afraid to develop anything based on the expectation that if they do, they should support it forever.

I think Rhino 6 is a fastastic improvement from Rhino 5, but that’s also because I’m always looking to improve my workflow and get better, more refined, faster tools. So I might be biased. I also think there’s tons of more work to do in Rhino, especially in better handling of geometry, solid operations, direct editing, etc.

The pace of improvement in V6 in the 5 years of work it have taken is not less that any other software in the industry. 3D is freaking hard. Also much of that improvement is on merciless stuff that it’s not easy to market or demo: like an architecture that can run much larger files, grasshopper integration multi-platform development, etc.

If you don’t see the value that’s fine. But I think they deserve a bit more credit that this thread I giving them.

G

1 Like

So far, my feeling is like it’s one of those Chinese restaurant menus with too much of everything, but nothing really good. I had hoped for NURBS modelling, editing and analysis tool improvements and new functions.

That’s a good observation but also a reality that Rhino is used by people doing all kinds of stuff in most industries and many of us have things in the program that’s we never touch. But also the reason why each of us can use it for making a living, since the one feature no one else uses but that I need, are also being developed.

G

2 Likes

You’ll save like $150 on the upgrade till Tuesday! Get it now if you’re thinking about it and if you really don’t want it sell it later!

SWISS KNIFE

After all have been said and heard, Rhino is the ultimate Swiss Knife among CAD tools, and it’s affordable even for a household budget.

A Swiss Knife is the best tool you can have when there’s no such thing a the ultimate “best tool” for every thinkable task.

And it’s affordable even for a household budget.

So I don’t know what people are whining about (except for when I am missing some feature…). :wink:

// Rolf

1 Like

There are people who aren’t doing this?
Improving processes, efficiency, workflow optimisation isn’t just an post-industrialisation idea. Any 8hr task that I can improve and do in 7hr45min I leave the computer 15mins and spend it with my family… (replace family with whatever is meaningful for you: could be Sport, Games, PD, Music, procrastinating… whatever makes you happy)

Please make sure to try and update your driver to the latest version first if at all possible. We’ve found this helps in a lot of cases.

We want to make the display work for all GPUs possible. Rhino’s new display engine was designed to downgrade to alternative modes of drawing when a driver reports support for lower levels of OpenGL. Obviously we need to fix a few things in cases like @tobias (if performance doesn’t improve after a driver update.) @tobias, what OpenGL version does your driver report in Rhino and what is the driver date? This can typically be found by either looking at Rhino’s OpenGL page of running the SystemInfo command in Rhino6.

Hi Steve,
My main problems with the new display are the bump map display, the wire thickness and antialiasing and the constant switch to boundingbox display with dynamic display.

From that bump map display can’t be solved since it was a bug in V5 and the wire thickness is better now with the WireThicknessScale setting.

What is left is the antialiasing which is nicer to my eyes in V5 (I tried fiddeling with Rhino.Options.OpenGL.Antialiasmode and the standard AA settings under OpenGL), and especially the boundingbox display with view manipulation drives me nuts. V6 appears laggy compared to V5 smooth as silk.

thanks, Tobias

PS: My driver is up to date AFAIK. Here my system specs:

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
GeForce GTX 260/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:3.3.0)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 3.3
Shading Language: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
Driver Date: 11-14-2016
Driver Version: 21.21.13.4201