Upcoming VRay 3.0 for Rhino 5 ( and Rhino 6?)

unhandled

Hello,

I’m really looking to get into Vray. Does anyone have any info on when 3.0 is coming out and what happens when Rhino 6 emerges. Will it work with Vray or will I have to wait for some time?

Thanks for you reply in advance. Just looking at making a few purchasing decisions here.

(John Brock) #2

Rhino V5 and V6 have (and will have respectively) different Software Development Kits so the same plug-in for V5 can not work for V6.
'A separate plug-in will been to be tweaked and compiled specifically for V6.
It is up to the developer if the plug-ins functionality will be the same.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’d like to purchase the vray/rhino 5 plugin but I also use modo. There’s about a $300 dollar difference. I know it sounds petty but trying to decide if I should import the rhino models into modo or just use rhino altogether. I’m more oriented towards packaging and product rendering. Any thoughts?

(Rob McPherson) #4

I’m pretty sure Chaos Group have indicated they’ll be making Vray3 work for Rhino6. But I have a sneaking feeling Rhino6 will be released before Vray3…(?).

Currently Vray2 for Rhino should be fine for packaging/product rendering. It’s missing stuff like fog, vray fur etc which I guess you wouldn’t use anyway. The materials editor is rather clunky at the mo too, but I’d sure prefer using it over that damn shader tree thing!

I used to export all my Rhino models to max for rendering but since I’ve been keeping everything within Rhino it’s saved quite a bit of time exporting/remapping models when there are mods.

For packaging stuff there’s also a good integration with HDRI Light Studio within Rhino.

Thanks Rob. Trying to narrow my focus and minimize the programs I am using
(but want to learn). My old brain can only take so much and time is always
a factor. I even started looking at Blender and see some amazing things
happening on that front. As much as I like Modo, I don’t like some of the
update costs every year and I don’t need all the bells and whistles. It’'s
a great program but like anything else, one has to prioritize and use
what’s best for their workflow.

Appreciate your time.

(Rob McPherson) #6

Same here.

Have been through the same process!

The handwork with switching SDKs has already been done.

We are building private nightly builds of V-Ray For Rhino 3 on both Rhino 5 and Rhino 6. I try to update the SDK weekly as soon as the WIP updates. We have a few private testers using the Rhino 6 builds, and I haven’t heard about any issues. Normally people use the Rhino 6 builds so they can do everyday work using V-Ray for Rhino 2 on Rhino 5, while still testing V-Ray For Rhino 3 on Rhino 6.

In my experience, you are FAR BETTER off doing all of your rendering inside of Rhino. Prior to V-Ray’s release, I used to export to Studio MAX for rendering. When I switched to V-Ray for Rhino I was fairly shocked; I was about twice as fast! That is especially true when you have any changes … and you will have changes.

Thanks Matt/Schultze! I am testing out the beta vray 3.0 with R5 right now. Trying to take advantage of learning the UI and how best to navigate.

Matt, I have some questions about vray. What is the best way to ask (simple, noob) questions? Like how does one navigate all of the windows if they only have one monitor? What’s the best way of licensing a machine or two (switching one to the other)? Seems I’m clicking alot when adding vray materials…is there a better way?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not being negative! In fact, I’m starting to really like vray (I usually use Octane) but just want to get as efficient as possible…quickly!!

Thanks everyone!

I may be able to help you. There are several courses on V-Ray for Rhino at lynda.com.

Rendering Fundamentals with Rhino and V-Ray
Product Design Rendering with Rhino and V-Ray
Architectural Rendering with Rhino and V-Ray
and even
Animation with Rhino and Bongo [includes V-Ray as well.]

The guy who did these is really good and even has some more stuff here. If you’re not a member of lynda, here’s a link for 10-days free.

Damn! That guy looks like he knows his stuff!!

Thank you.

:wink:

I am using the Vray v3 beta on rhino 5 and like it a lot better than the V2 version. It is much faster and way more intuitive to handle. The only strange thing is that they have a platform for it on the chaosgroup but there is hardly any discussion on it and i posted a few questions and got a few answers but some questions never received an answer.

I do not know if just anybody can use the beta. I was invited but since i am nobody special i guess anybody can applie. Unfortunately you cannot switch between v2 and v3 beta. You have to uninstall v2.

Kind regards, René

Hi Rene,

I am a beta user at the moment and really like it. Although I do agree with you that there isn’t much talk or discussion about people’s experiences.

I had a demo of v2 once and remember the little vray express bar for materials. I didn’t see this addition for the beta. Does it exist?

I’m struggling with how to add a material to an object in Vray 3.0 for rhino. It seems so cumbersome. So many windows and clicks just to add a simple material. Why does the library not have the materials always open. Shouldn’t there be a larger library of materials. Like cloth or leather type materials. Where are those? I’m also working on one monitor and find the windows not as intuitive. With all of them being open, I find it hard to navigate to see what I’m doing and then having to shift things around in order to do something else. Another thing is that do I have to be logged in to the Server everytime or can I add a license to a dongle I have already? Anyone have any info that can help a newbie? Or newbies?

I’m using Vray since the first beta days some years before. Over the years I used Vray for pro viz work daily. It’s a strong tool and I could live without it. The combination of Vray and Rhino is great. :wink:

But I’m really not happy with the new v3 UI. My work speed is much slower than at v2, since a lot more of clicks and scrolling is needed. I want to motivate the new v3 testers to be critical. My impression is a lot of new users create light scenes with some objects and think, oh modern UI look, faster render speed and anything is fine. They are happy about the new features and want to be kindly.

But for complex scenes and if you want to check a current option setup and to edit it, it’s a pain. So, please new testers, think about the UI workflow. For me - I don’t need big sliders everywhere, I need a quick access to the options. I’m working on a 4k screen and have more screens space problems than before. Some old long time pro users posted a lot of UI suggestions at the chaosgroup beta forum, but we don’t get the developing team motivated to refine the UI. The voices of the old render geeks doesn’t count so much like of the blended newbies (sorry :wink: ), but on the long run we all will lost productivity.

Micha (still using v2 daily and waiting for a better v3 UI)

Here one of the dozen examples of the new current v3 UI:

and here like it could be cleaned up, a lot of space saved:

I recently downloaded the V-Ray for Rhino v3 Beta. I haven’t had the chance to spend much time with it yet but my first impressions were favourable.

The new interface is quite different, and I think its a change for the better but I’ll reserve final judgement until I’ve used it some more. I liked how quick it was to set up and produce a decent image - in RT mode the actual render processing was noticeably faster too. Many of the unintelligible settings from v2 have been hidden, which I guess is the point of the redesign but I wonder if Chaos Group would’ve been better channelling their resources into actually explaining what these settings do rather than hiding them. They’ve never supported V-Ray with proper manuals nor online trainings and I hope this situation changes with v3.

I’m not a rendering geek by any means but it seems to me that one advantage V-Ray has in a crowded market is control - just about any setting can be tweaked to achieve what you need (if you know what you’re doing). The new interface moves it closer to the mainstream; a simplified interface that allows you to bang out a good render in next to no time. Admittedly that’s exactly what I use it for most of the time but I haven’t made up my mind yet if the change is a good thing.

There are still more UI changes in the works. The hardest part for me is unlearning 2.0 workflows, than learning the new workflows.

Documentation is being added at: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAYRHINO. It is still a WIP.

I want to be clear - the problem is that the new UI needs a lot of more clicks and scrolling and it’s difficult to find the right options caused by no clear grouping - is this the new workflow? Lot of screen space is wasted.
The new features are fantastic, the core engine is a dream, but the UI is a big problem (if you try to work several hours a day). Your power users post suggestions since months but no UI update is implemented.

(The link doesn’t work.)

Thanks, Matt. I do appreciate that it is a WIP. The early signs are promising in my view, sight reservations about the interface aside (I’m sure all of the settings are still there, I just need to dig into it a bit to find them).

I do stand by my comments about a lack of supporting material. I am familiar with the online documentation and in the past it has felt more like a help file rather than a manual. Hopefully it will be updated and improved with the new version. I know I’m not the only one frustrated by this, the lengthy thread in the Chaos Group forum asking for an updated manual for v2 attests to this. I still refer to the old ASGVIS manual from time to time, for v1.5 I think, it offers the best explanation of the basics I’ve encountered. It’d be nice to have an up to date version for v3.

Gripe about documentation aside, I’m encouraged by the changes you’re making. Keep up the good work.

gman -

There was time when I exported everything to modo for texturing and rendering. But after I got more familiar with V-Ray I stopped doing that except for UV work (which I find very difficult in Rhino). On most days I’m modeling, rendering, modeling, rendering, etc. It’s a much more fluid workflow and not only more efficient but more enjoyable also. For lots of scenes I have a studio setup (backdrop, lights, etc.) that I hide when I’m modeling and then un-hide when I want to do a quick render to check my progress.

I have a license now for the lowest end of the Cinema 4D line up and I’m waiting for them to upgrade their UV tools. At that time I’ll sell my license for modo and work exclusively in Rhino / V-Ray except for when I need to do organic work (a recent retail project required sand dunes for instance) which C4D is ideal for.

Thanks Arail for the info. My first 3D app was Modo and sort of thinking I want to move to another platform. It’s always a little tough moving from your comfort zone. That’s why my dilemma about getting vray for Modo as I am on 902 v3 but not sure I want to upgrade and continue with it. I was thinking for basic needs, 902 would be okay to have and still use once in a while. That’s why I started to look at Blender. What are your thoughts about that? Seems like there’s a lot of people moving towards it and creating amazing add ons.

I really like rhino and would love to use vray with it for my go to apps. Are there generally sales for vray once out of beta and ready for distribution?