How to smooth/round a curve to a set radius

I need to edit a large amount of noisy/messy curves for cnc manufacturing. The machine will cut the material with a tool with a radius of 1.5mm. This means that the tool will not be able to follow the curve into turns/corners of a radius less that 1.5mm. This wouldn’t be much of an issue normaly but I also need to follow the edge with a V shaped tool and if i used the original curve, it would go into the corners the 1.5mm tool could not reach and create unwanted artifacts.
Im machining a pocket with a tapered edge.
So Im looking for a way to smoooth the curves in a way that only rounds out the parts that are tighter than 1.5mm radius. If the process changes the rest of the curve slightly, it is not a big issue, the design is huge and is organic.

the original curve with a sharp edge

what i need,
in red is machined edge from the 1.5mm tool
in blue is the path of the tool
i basically need the red curve but slight differences in the rest of the curve are not a problem

_offset
corner=round

check option round corner of the offset command.
is this what you need ?
https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/7/help/en-us/index.htm#commands/offset.htm

hmm yeah, I can offset the curve by 1.5mm and then offset the result back, this gives me the original curve but with rounded edges. Its kind of slow and it only rounds the edges off from one side which Im fine with. Thank you very much:)
I’ll leave this discussion unsloved for a bit in case someone comes up with a more streamlined solution because i have thousands of curves to edit like this but you have helped me a lot.

Hi Prokop - can you post one or two curves?

-Pascal

yes, here is the file.
sample.3dm (192.0 KB)

Hi Prokop - does FilletCorners help here for your purposes?

-Pascal

1 Like

I have tried it and its exactly what i needed! thank you