How to save the raytraced view to file?

I know about ViewCaptureToFile, but that re-renders the viewport and I already did that.

The only other command that I found was SaveRenderWindowAs, but it gives me this error:

My workaround now is to just screencapture it, but what am I missing here?

Hi @eobet ,

ViewCaptureToFile will only reRaytrace the view if you have settings there that differ from what the viewport in Raytraced mode had already achieved. So for instance, if you have a different dimension set or a sample count greater than what the view got to. Check those settings. It should just save the file unless you’ve told it to do more work.

Thank you. That was not apparently in the UI at all, and since I had already waited a number of minutes for the viewport to finish rendering, I did not dare to go forward in the menu.

Is there an indication in the UI for when the ViewCaptureToFile will have to re-render or not that I might have missed?

Hi Robert -

There is no such indication, no.
The recommended workflow seems to be to use a lower amount of samples in the Raytraced viewport and use that only to set up the view before doing a final rendering:

-wim

Thanks. There seems to be room for some UI improvements here then to make things more intuitive.

Filed https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-65902

1 Like

If a render is long enough, the first thing that happens when attempting to run ViewCapturetoFile is an Autosave. This appears to invoke a new render from scratch; apparently even if the subsequent View Capture settings are as needed, the render is gone. After digging for this string here I see that Rhino Render and Cycles and Raytraced View Mode are all using the same rendering engine but with three different names. I could have just rendered from the Render panel, it appears. I agree that this isn’t well enough explained and as long as these are all called different things I don’t see how this is likely to be figured out by a user. The info I found online instructed that Raytraced was the best Renderer, and it had to be run and saved from a Viewport. This must have been tutorials and instructions for Rhino 5 or 6, but it would be a good idea for there to be a prominently searchable current tutorial about this.

That will happen if the settings in the ViewcaptureToFile dialog are different than what has already been achieved in the active viewport using Raytraced mode. Dimensions or sample count for instance are usual suspects.

In Rhino 7 yes that is the case but you are right that in Rhino 6 you had to capture the view to get the same result calculated with Cycles. Apologies this was confusing, but it should be easier now without the viewcapture step. It’s also more reliable as the GPU isn’t in the middle of the save process.

Here’s a quick short video on using Rhino Renderer (Cycles for Rhino) in Rhino 7 as well if it’s helpful.

1 Like