How to export the model with all textures as FBX or OBJ?

Hi,

a client ask me to export the Rhino model in FBX or OBJ format and he want to get a full textured model. I tested it but don’t get it working. Now I ask me why it’s not working and are there other ways?

-Micha

Just as a start - did you click the save textures box when saving?

Yes. I checked it again and found:

• FBX ignores textures
  • OBJ export saves the textures, but if I open the model, than the texture is not loaded

OBJ works - the problem was the option “split 32bit textures into separate files”. If I disable it, than it works.

Since I need to export a quite large model I ask me, couldn’t the FBX format be a more up-to-date solution? Should the texture export work for FBX not too?

I found, textures are used some times, but there are some strange effects. Materials are set transparent and the instancing is gone. Texture names are changed like to “rdk$0200-0200-8284A153.png” and other textures keep the names.

Good thing - layer names and structure are kept.

Here an example - two seats as blocks. Please try to export it as FBX and open it in a new Rhino task. I have a request for a big project where FBX is needed. Since it is a complex scene with a lot of blocks and it is very important to keep the blocks, a solution is needed within the next time. The file size would explode without instances.

Maybe there is a chance to fix the materials and the block functionality.

SeatBlocks.zip (5.0 MB)

1 Like

One more thought: the goal could be to export a FBX with textures, layers and blocks and open it at Rhino again and anything is fine. On the long run the support of NURBS would be great. For now I would be glad if blocks and textures are working.

For me it looks like the FBX format could be an universal modern format for data exchange.

1 Like

Sidenote: here a screenshot from Simlab Composer, the only alternative I found. The Composer reads 3dm files and support embed textures and instances for FBX … but the clean Rhino layer structure is destroyed. The Rhino FBX shows a clean layer structure, but fails for instance and creates wrong materials. Rhino 6 seems to support FBX V7 only and so we are 9 years behind now.

Hi Micha,
I’m not sure how this is supposed to look after importing into Rhino. This is what I get.

I see that @nathanletwory and @DavidEranen have open YT items concerning materials and FBX export and hope they can chime in here… Perhaps you are looking at something that is already on the list.

Hi Wim,

thank you for testing the file. If I export the blocks as FBX and open this file, than I get invisible objects, since the transparency is set at 100%. Gloss and Refl values are changed too. Also texture names are changed and the block instances are exploded.

This was the state at the original scene:

I had a different outcome, but still not very good. I created this: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-50517.

I used Rhino 6 SR12.

-David

Thank you @DavidEranen

I ask me, when can be expected a FBX block support? It’s so essential for complex scenes and I try to find a solution for me and my clients. It looks like the FBX export/import needs to be updated from 2009 to 2016 or higher.
Rhino is famous for the large count of formats and I think, an up-to-date FBX should be at first importance since this is one of the best allround formats.

FWIW, we already are currently on the 2018 SDK, and will probably see a move to the 2019 SDK soonish.

The material problems (also round-tripping with Rhino) I already fixed before the first 6.12 Release Candidate was released I think (or at least in very early stage). I didn’t touch anything mesh-y though.

@nathanletwory I thought we are at 2009 since Rhino allow to use max FBX v7 and it’s listed at the Simlab Composer UI as 2009. I’m glad to hear the FBX connection is at 2018. The biggest problem for me and my clients need is the missing block support. I need to export a train interior, where I have nearly hundred seats. Each seat is approx. 20 MB. You can imagine, how big the file will be for the seats only. And the other interior stuff need several 100MB too.

The project where I need the block support will not start within the next weeks, so I hope the block support could be added before the project starts. What do you think?

Maybe, I suppose. I could have a look, or at least work with @tim on that - he probably knows a bit better how much is already supported and how.

1 Like