How to edit groups?

Lets say I group a set of curves, is there anyway I can re-position/edit those curves individually without ungrouping them? I have been working in sketchup lately and their group editing ability seems really useful. I know that I can block the curves and then edit the block, but one thing I’ve run into is that you can’t reference blocked geometry from grasshopper. And I would prefer not to have to consolidate my geometry by putting them into layers. Any solutions?

Hi Lawrence - hold Shift-Ctrl and click to select within a group. Or subobjects like edges or faces in a single object.

-Pascal

4 Likes

There are also buttons for adding and removing items from a group.

what’s more, if blocks behave the way you like, you can use the Human add-on for grasshopper to automatically gain access to their inner geometry.

Groups is not Blocks - just saying’ :smile:

Is there anything like “group edit” (I like the way sketchup does their groups). Maybe its just me, but I feel like it is a commitment to make something a block. I guess it is okay to have a bunch of unique and generically named blocks then?

Hi Lawrence- in Rhino, think of groups as named selection sets - not sure what you mean by ‘group edit’.

-Pascal

So blocks is the way to go then? In sketchup, you can group things, but then click in to edit the contents of the group- sort of like blockedit.

Hi Lawrence - you can reach into a group with Ctrl-shift click… does that help? Blocks are the way to go if you need block functionality, groups are the way to go if you need selection sets.

-Pascal

The ctrl-shift click function definitely has helped me, but I agree that blocking is probably the way to go.

Thanks

1 Like

Coming from sketchup too, I agree make group tool is very useful in sketchup, especially visibility settings that allows to easily hide/unhide the context. And the fact that you can do it without commiting to a block

In Rhino I put related objects in a new layer when I want to “group” the objects for visibility, color, material, etc but be able to alter individual objects geometry and location. Does SketchUp have an equivalent to Layers in Rhino?