How to combine Opennest Tutorial 2 and 3

Hello All,
As the tittle says, I am trying to figure out how to combine Opennest tutorial 2 and 3.
My work requires me to design boat component and then make a mold for it. Each panel is unique and have complex shape (similar to those in Tutorial 3), and have their own name (similar to Tutorial 2). If I follow Tutorial 3 then I have no name on the panels, and if I follow tutorial 2 then my computer would crash. I don’t have much knowledge about grasshoper or C++, so I would be very grateful if you can help me with this one. I have attached my files. Thank you all for your timeTooling_Opennest.3dm (3.1 MB)
Nesting Program_Hung.gh (15.2 KB)

You just need to connect the P output of the Control Points component to the P input of the Convex Hull component:

-Kevin

1 Like

wow rookie mistake, turn out to be fine. many thanks @kev.r

do you know why when I turn Transformation it become like this ?

I’m not sure what you mean by “turn Transformation”.

This is what I did:

1. Connected the P output from the Control Points component to the P input of the Convex Hull component.
  2. Set Run on the OpenNest component to True
  3. Set Transform to True on the Transform Guid component and then set it back to False.

I don’t see what you’re showing above, this is the output I get:

-Kevin

1 Like

Many thanks, I will try again

Sorry to bother again, if you have time, can you explain how I can apply the same method with the panels with curves inside? I have tried, but the convex hull has an error “1. Insufficient points for convex diagram. You need at least two.”

Here is an example files
Tooling_Opennest_rev 2.3dm (7.3 MB)

The problem you’re having using the previous definition with this file is caused by the fact that the B output from the RhinoObjects component is trimmed surfaces with holes from the internal curves. The Curve component is outputting Null for the surfaces with internal holes.

This will eliminate the holes before creating the simplified curves for nesting:

Nesting Program_rev2.gh (15.3 KB)

I also noticed that in your Rhino file you have grouped the curves, holes, and text together. When you bake your nested geometry with the Transform Guid component, it adds the baked geometry to the original groups (kind of confusing). I would recommend not grouping your geometry in Rhino - you seem to be using layers to organize your objects so it doesn’t really seem necessary.

-Kevin

1 Like

many thanks, I will update on the result.