How to cap one side of an irregular, cylindrical-ish mesh?

I’m running into a problem that I can’t seem to get my head around: my workflow often results in a cylinder-like mesh that I need to add a flat base to.

I need to preserve the outside geometry, have a flat bottom and top to the base, and have it watertight with the sides. Ideally, but not an absolute requirement, I’d end up with a single mesh for the base and sides. It’s basically a vase scenario.

My best idea so far is to create a mesh box with the height of the desired base and which is much larger, then doing a mesh split with the cylinder, deleting the area outside of the cylinder, and joining the remainder of the base with the cylinder. However, mesh split is not behaving as I would expect.

This seems like it should be straightforward, so I’m probably missing some rudimentary technique. Help please?

open-cylinder.gh (11.5 KB)

Check if this is what you want. I’m not sure… Meshedit plugin is required.

open-cylinder_re.gh (15.0 KB)

Thanks for the speedy reply – that gets me closer, but I need the base portion to only be inside the cylinder. I have hacked together the following using a terrible brute force approach just to illustrate:

open-cylinder-wireframe3

My actual designs have more complex contouring, so my ugly approach of just using a cylinder + cap holes + brep mesh + mesh union won’t work.

open-cylinder_reV2.gh (11.7 KB)

1 Like

Thank you so much! The key piece in your solution is attaching the base before doing the mesh thicken. I’m not 100% sure I can do that, but I see why it’s much simpler and will give that a try.

May I ask why the Simple Mesh object to convert surface to mesh rather than Mesh Brep? Testing with Mesh Brep doesn’t produce the same nice flat result, but is there a guideline for when to use either one?

Thanks again!

Simple Mesh works only with tri or quad boundaries and produce one on one matched mesh with no extra faces.
Otherwise for boundaries with more than quad, you are better off using Mesh Brep or NGon mesh.

1 Like