How to apply a simple vector as a repeatable texture on an object?

I know I’ve done it before, but I’ve since forgotten and after some youtube and searching this forum, I can’t find the answer.

I want to be able to make my own hatch (a simple brick vector drawn in rhino), then apply that vector to a wall so that it repeats. I want to be able to view this in shaded mode–I dont want to have to render to view and print. I currently draw the patterns manually as shown in the screenshot.

Is this possible? If so, can someone please tell me? I’ve tried printing the vector pattern as a png and jpeg, and then applying it as a color texture in the materials pane, but the bitmap texture setting preview window shows white (the pattern does not show up, only one line)…

Please help.Thank you.

Sounds like you need to apply the pattern as a material from a png or jpg like you described. Then select the object you’ve applied it to (like your wall). Click on the display tab then the “Set object shading attributes” button (it looks like a crosshair with one quadrant red). Then set just that one object to rendered mode.

Thank you but I’m not seeing a “set object shading attributes” button on the display tab.

I’m sorry, I mean the tabs across the top of your working window “Standard” “Cplanes” “Set View”, etc.

Thanks for clarifying, but it’s still not working as expected. It shows a few lines and changes as I zoom in and out. I don’t like render more for vector prints.

Any other approaches?

You basically just do what you originally wrote that you wanted to do: apply a brick hatch to your walls.

1. Hatches do not get applied to surfaces so you have to create closed planar curves that describe your walls. (_ExtractSrf with the Copy option set to Yes and then DupBorder)

2. You need a brick hatch pattern. There are many sites where you can download *.pat files or you can just make it yourself - either by typing it up in a text editor like Notepad or by using @SamPage’s Hatch Maker Plug-in. The one I used in that picture was made with that plug-in - feel free to use that if it does what you want: BrickWall.pat.txt (751 Bytes) [Just get rid of the *.txt extension on that file - Discourse does not allow one to upload *.pat files…]