How to add additional anchors in addition to naked vertices

Hi, I’m an absolute beginner of grasshopper, and I want to ask one question. I followed a tutorial to loft one curve to another to design a hallway, but I noticed it is too much stretched that it comes inside the smaller square. (The second image is looking the model from the front).

And about the first image, I want the top and bottom to stay straight and only the sides are stretched. Basically I want to anchor not only the naked vertices, but also the top and bottom. What would be your suggestion?

TopBottomAnchor.gh (9.5 KB)

missing

And you didn’t internalize your two Curve geometries.

Let’s assume the two curves at the ends are rectangles, still if you anchor the top and bottom face nodes you will end up with a flat sheet on either side from the springs, so you probably don’t want that.

TopBottomAnchor.gh (9.5 KB)

Oops Just did!

Thanks for your response! What is the component that you connected to List Item Index?

And would there be a way to select only the vertices in the middle instead of all the vertices on the surface?

And when I bake the output model, the surface is not so smooth. The only way to make it smooth is to increase UV quads?

Something like this?

The overall smoothness depends on the mesh tessellation. The finer it is, the smoother the final mesh will be. That’s what the first slider controls.

The second slider defines how much the mesh gets relaxed.

The blochiness in certain areas is due to some normals being reversed.

TopBottomAnchor.gh (16.8 KB)

2 Likes

That component is just the panel component. If you don’t know what it is, (without sounding too patronising here) I would say definitely worth reading up on some Grasshopper basics before attempting form-finding.

Anyway, that aside, well you can select any vertices you like, you just need to know which ones. In that case maybe draw a line and find points from the mesh close to that line? You can do it like this I guess, although there are many ways:

TopBottomAnchor.gh (13.1 KB)

That’s just the top curve, I guess you could do the same with one at the bottom. @diff-arch may have you covered already though.

1 Like

The Quads are not planar, so when converted to triangles for the display they will be triangulated.
You might get better results by using loop subdivision at the end instead of catmull clark which seems to be in your original file.