How long should the wait be for 2D drawing create?

Hi,
having copied out to a new file my various aircraft skins and panel lines and rivet lines just for the fuselage, only tail for latter with rivet circles etc , rest of rivets yet to create, thought I would see what 2D drawing makes of it so far, waitng 8 mins and still waiting.

Doesn’t bode well for turning this into a profile. Not even able to get a 2D drawing from it, or is 8 mins normal, how long might the wait be.

Failing this, what other method to get panel lines to appear from edges of surfaces etc. Will I have to dupEdges and project to planar surface Cplane etc ? then ditto all rivets and other lines ?

32Gb ram
GTX970
win7 64bit pro.
i7 4790 3.6GHz processor.

returned to it aft posting this and its frozen now.

My aim to create plans from the CAD work is not looking good. simple task fails here.

try again with just spinner which has rings of 3D rivets, took a few minutes. Try again with current view selected and just spinner, took 30 secs or so.
Select cowling only and 4 secs ! it doesnt like rivets !! and aircraft have loads of them.

Furthermore the cowling didnt end up with spinner at front end, there is no placement logic if doing each part in turn. It crashes on thw whole thing.

Any ideas ?

Steve

Hi Steve,

You could try Make2D from a few layers and switch off the rest? You might be able to build up a 2D drawing in a couple of steps.

I still work with thicker lines for different parts that have some form of depth so I use CurveBoolean a lot. Basically turning off a lot of detail and drawing a rectangle around the whole shebang and then selecting areas (join areas = no) and build up closed groups that way which makes it really easy to colour fill in Illustrator etc.

You might be able to knock out a lot of detail in that 8 mins you’ve been waiting, and with a little more integrity than a simple Make 2D?

Andy

Basically what you want to do is download and try your file in the current Rhino WIP. Make2D has been completely revamped and should work much better. And if it’s still not working well with your current objects, it would be good to know now so that it can be further optimized before V6 is released.

–Mitch

Hi Mitch,
I have backed up the PC, installed WIP, copied across (see other post) my user interface settings.
Opened my aircraft file, ran Make2D selected the spinner that took 30 secs in V5 to be made into 2D, chose view option, (assume this means same view as I am seeing in that viewport, (prefer old interface !), unticked hidden, hit enter and in a sec if that it crashed, so sent error file.

Not a good start.

2Dcube

I still work with thicker lines for different parts that have some form of depth so I use CurveBoolean a lot. Basically turning off a lot of detail and drawing a rectangle around the whole shebang and then selecting areas (join areas = no) and build up closed groups that way which makes it really easy to colour fill in Illustrator etc.

what is this ‘selecting areas’, I dont see a select areas option ? How is that done ?

The box, is that to register each creation back together again ?

If I am doing the three view export (ok we also get perspective) I reckoned on a regis point, which I have drawn a box with X inside for each view, so I can be sure of seeing it after 2Dmake.

Steve

Suggest you upload the actual file to McNeel (if it didn’t get sent with the error report) with instructions so that they can test… --Mitch

Trouble is its valuable and confidential, guarding it closely after all the research that went into it.
What assurances are there it doesnt get out to the world or leak out for copying ?

Steve

There are no absolute assurances anywhere, anymore than you can be 100% certain that your computer will never get hacked or stolen… But McNeel are among the most honest people in the industry, if they say they will keep confidential client files confidential, I believe them… You don’t need to upload the entire file if you can consistently reproduce the crash with just a portion of the file…

–Mitch

Hi Steve,

I meant combine regions:

It’s a nice tool to use alongside Make2D if you’re in need of clean geometry without broken lines where you may need to solid fill things in another program.

It works in the same way as Hatch with boundary.

Andy