How does one move the cursor perpendicular to the c plane?

I just tested Orthogonal views when using Universal CPlanes and, at first glance it seems fine; however, I think there’s something definitely wrong (at least in MacRhino. Did not test WinRhino).

First, I tested what Mitch suggested and got the same result: the orthogonal viewports did update correctly to match a new CPlane. But only initially. Trying to pick other desired views does not always work. Bug?

Sorry this is kind of long, but I tried to be precise. Efforts to confirm these observations are welcomed.

Here are the steps (with the enclosed file of a “toy top” which I use to explain CPlanes to my students):

• Verify that Universal Construction Planes are on.
    (Rhinoceros > Preferences > Modeling Aids > Construction Planes > Universal Construction Planes)

• File should open in 4 square view, with CPlane as WorldTop.

• Step One: Type “CPlane” > Surface, and set to the top surface in Perspective view. Same orientation as World.
    Top = OK
    Front = OK
    Right = OK

• Step Two: For each Ortho view: Right Click the Name of View > Set View, then select proper one.
    Top = OK
    Front = OK
    Right = OK
    Worth noting is that with this method, clicking the View name does not retain the CPlane views, but restores World views (which in this case are the same). Unless one “knows” this, it can be misleading if you have Universal CPlanes on and expect otherwise. If you make a new CPlane on another face, you’ll see what I mean.

Up until this point, both methods give expected results. (See below)

• Step Three: Here’s the problem. For each respective Ortho view: type “SetView” > C Plane, then select the desired view.
    Top = OK
    Front = WRONG. Bottom view is displayed
    Right = WRONG. Back view is displayed

If I’m understanding things correctly, I should get the same results as above; however, I’m getting incorrect views in the bottom two windows (See below)

I didn’t test all views using the SetView command-line method, but believe other incorrect views may also result. If I simply am misunderstanding how this should work, an explanation of what should be done is most welcomed.

On a related note, optimally, it would be great if the orthogonal view names could somehow differentiate between when they are displaying World and CPlane views (maybe a symbol or colored border or something?). But, unfortunately, they don’t, as Step Two illustrates.

~Dave
Tutorial_01_Rhino_Interface_Toy_Top.3dm (880.8 KB)