How do I tweak CV distribution on a G2 match?

When I use the Blend command, I can grab a control point and tweak it before I accept the command result, but I do not see the same for the Match command.

Am I missing something semi-hidden again? (I consider anything in the command line thingy hidden.) :wink:

Hello - The hidden thing is to make your match with History on (I find that ‘preserve isocurve direction’ gives me the most flexibility in editing) , then noodle it after the fact to tune up.

-Pascal

Thank you, but what tool do I use to “noodle it”, as you say? :slight_smile: Because both dragging and the Move UVN tool breaks the history.

Hmmm - not sure what you mean - see the attached file - blue is matched to red for curvature - I can mess with the points on either surface and the match updates.

MatchSrfHistory.3dm (69.9 KB)

-Pascal

@pascal A surface version of EndBulge would be very useful. EndBulge allows adjustment of control points of a curve whjile preserving the curvature, tangency and position at the ends of the curves. Use Match to create the initial end conditions of the curve, and then use EndBulge to modify the curve as desired.

Hi David- the ui is a little awkward but EndBulge does work on surfaces.

-Pascal

Thanks! I just tried EndBulge on surfaces and the UI is not a “little arkward”. The UI is akward and somewhat obtuse.

So you can. And on 6.16 so can I, it turns out. Was this a recent change or is this a setting I may have inadvertently activated on the other computer that makes it so any move breaks history?

One thing that is lacking, though, is the Alt modifier’s ability to change the Angle of a surface blend.

A surface match is no different, and should really have the control points show up when the tool dialog is open, so I can change the angle of the matched surface’s edge with alt as well (a workaround is to manually “noodle” the control points and then choose “preserve isocurve direction”, but the discrepancy in the user experience between the Blend tools and the Match tools is jarring to me).

Hello -

What comes to mind is that the History on MatchSrf is limited to one edge and you may have had another edge matched - though here I do not get a warning, actually, it just stops working for one of the edges.

-Pascal

Yep, I do not disagree … more controls would be nice - some unifying of the interaction of BlendSrf, MatchSrf and EndBulge would be a good thing to look into as well.

-Pascal

4 Likes

I’m curious, since Rhino doesn’t have a very deep or robust History, and people probably start out with Blend surfaces but then most likely modify them at some point… wouldn’t Match be more used than Blend by users, or is there a workflow I’m unaware of?

I’m just wondering why Match hasn’t received more love, like Alt angles, Control Point Modifying, Editing (and perhaps also an “influence” setting to smooth out match modifications across a larger part of the surface)…

To me, it is the single most important tool in a surfacing application, because without it, you’re… well… not really surfacing, are you? :slight_smile: