How do I export my rhino file with vray materials to another computer?

No, they are not running the same exact version. Machine A has the more up to date vray version, and you are trying to import a file generated in A into B or C which might be the problem, because the have older versions of vray. What happens if you do the opposite, create a file in C and try to open it in A and B? This should work without any problem.

I can try that, however, there seem be a big issue here:

Machine A has version 4.10.02 November 2019
Machine B has version 4.10.01 September 2019

Are we saying that 3 months different updates do not make files compatible??

I don’t know for sure, but it could be the case, I wouldn’t be surprise at all. Can’t you update machine B to the same exact release?

I wrote that the version does not matter only for opening the file. I never said it would render the same. The renders are expected to be slightly different, which is OK

I also said this:

With one notable exception. You can’t open a file in earlier V-Ray release than the one it was produced with. This is quite obvious I think.

that is violated here. You have file saved with 4.10.02, and you’re trying to open it in 4.10.01 and 3.60.03.

So… is the mystery solved now ?

The saga continues…

• I tried to start a new scene with Machine C, running older Vray 3.60.03
  • I then opened this file with Machine B, running Vray 4.10.01 and got the following message.
    Vray message from Machine B
    The scene rendered ok, although slightly different.
  • I also opened the same file with Machine A, running Vray 4.10.02 and I got the same render as machine B.
  • I then saved the updated file from Machine B and tried to open it back with Machine C. Render now no longer works. This means that, indeed, there is no way that we can render same files across these machines, unless we all run exactly the same Vray versions.

Therefore, the first lesson I am learning is that models have to be rendered with exactly the same Vray Version. Why there is not backward compatibility is beyond my understanding.

What I cannot understand is how all the people around the world don’t seem to have the same issue we have and how, with very complex projects, they got around that!

The mistery should have been resolved at the very beginning, I guess. I spent two days trying to understand what seems to be just an incompatibility problem between different versions.

have to be opened with the same or newer V-Ray version

the software evolves, new stuff gets in, old stuff gets out. V-Ray is not the same with every version, neither the renderer, nor the integration. This is for every software I’ve ever seen.

It is expected that vray 3.6 could not open a file generated by vray 4, it is the same for almost every software out there. What I would expect is compatibility among the same vray version even if they are not the same, I mean, between machine A and B.

Exactly! infact, we still cannot render the old render scene, which, on Machine A renders perfectly and on Machine B doesn’t!

I have upgraded Machine B, previously running Vray 4.10.01 to Vray 4.10.02, exactly the same version running on Machine A. Now I can read files made with Machine A and render them correctly. Therefore, only three months of update difference, seems to have caused all of this.

I’m sorry to hear that, IMO this shouldn’t had happened. There should be backward compatibility among the same release, imagine if you couldn’t open a file generated in Rhino V6 SR 20 with V6 SR 18, that would cause lots of issues…

Absolutely! Thank you.

this is exactly the very first thing I asked you:

So you could have saved yourself (and others) a lot of time.

What I don’t understand is why you would want to run different versions across your studio.

Probably because they upgrade their machines simultaneously?

Don’t you think that there may be plausible reasons why there are different software versions in a studio? I still find hard to believe that every user of Vray in the world is running the very latest version on each machine in a studio, as this depends on several factors, such as yearly budgets on software etc… This is similar to say that all the Rhino users in the world now are running Rhino 6 vs Rhino 5. If you then think that a difference of only three months upgrade between different machines should make such a difference, not to get a scene to render, well, personally, I think it shouldn’t. It is my opinion of course. Thanks for your help.

you can upgrade any machine to the latest 4.10.02 if you have a 4.x version, so budget is not a point. Sure I can understand why you would not upgrade, but then don’t complain about compatibility from a new to an older version.
Things change and need to change to overcome bugs, otherwise you’ll have to live with bugs from previous versions till the end of time for the sake of backward compatibility. If your studio is a productive studio, the upgrade price of V-Ray is totally negligible. The time you’ve spent on debugging now has already cost you a lot more!

I guess we are simply not aligned on the same frequency on this topic here, because what you seem to say is that a difference of three months update between 4.10.01 and 4.10.02 (which, once again, can happen for a variety of plausible reasons) should make such a difference not to see the same render on two different machines…however, what can I say…it looks like I am the odd one thinking that such a compatibility problem on a relevant matter such rendering, should not exist between versions just three months different! or maybe, there was indeed a bug…which we have just discovered together at our own time expenses…hopefully, on this forum, people are here to help other users, without blaming if who is trying to resolve a problem, is having difficulties in solving a problem (having also to work on deadlines and deliveries at the same time).

sorry…I did not see that 4.10.01 couldn’t read 4.10.02, I thought you were complaining about 3.x not being able to load scenes from a newer version.
But I see no reason why you wouldn’t upgrade your machines that have 4.x to the same 4.x version, since all minor upgrades are free upgrades. It’s not that installing it costs lot of time, is it?

What I found much harder to deal with is that older scenes had compatibly issues in newer versions of V-Ray. This is btw something to be aware of if you’re running into unexpected problems with older scenes.

We try to keep changes to the serialization to a minimum, but some times we have to do it. It is not just because we want to make our customer’s life bitter, it simply needs to be done to fix a bug or introduce a feature. Things like that happen day to day, and planning ahead is not always able to detect such things.

Mind that we also offer subscription pricing model which will always give you the latest version for free… the upgrade only takes a minute

Very good points. I always update the app and all plug-ins FIRST, then trouble-shoot SECOND, and only THIRD will I post to a forum or support for help.

Why? They always ask immediately if you’re running the latest version! Plus, same-version updates are free and fast.

1 Like

Once again, the last thing I would have ever thought about is that a 3 months difference upgrade would have made such a big difference from rendering, to not rendering at all our work. So, I apologise if my dinosaur mind didn’t even remotely think about that and I focused more on the trouble-shoot phase first, to complete my deadline. To me it is like saying that I should be worried that I have to hurry up with a Rhino update, which is 3 months old, because it makes such a difference that it doesn’t model things at all. I understand that the subscription model is what some companies want to all the users to go for, however, considering that the non-subscription option is still available, not every computer in a network maybe updated to the very last non-critical update (I thought that critical updates are defined by the initial numbers and not the last after any comma, but I was evidently completely wrong).